Dec 21, 2010, 12:19 PM EST
Toronto announced a half-dozen minor league signings today, including former top prospect Corey Patterson.
Patterson is among the biggest prospect busts of the past decade, as a complete lack of plate discipline kept the former No. 3 overall pick and two-time Baseball America top-three prospect from becoming anything resembling a star.
On the other hand, he’s played 1,097 games spread over 11 seasons and the Blue Jays will be his sixth team. And despite seemingly being around forever, he’s still just 31 years old.
Patterson remains very fast and very good defensively, but he just can’t hit. He has a career line of .253/.292/.404 thanks to some early success with the Cubs, but Patterson has hit just .245/.283/.382 since 2005 and he’s never managed an on-base percentage above .320.
If limited to part-time duties he’s a somewhat useful spare part and the Blue Jays will likely have Patterson compete for a backup gig in spring training, although Rajai Davis has a similar yet superior skill set.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)