Hey pod people: the HBT iPhone app is now available

Dec 21, 2010, 6:09 AM EDT

iphone

Actually, it’s not just a HardballTalk app. It’s an app for all of NBC Sports.com’s blogs, including Pro FootballTalk, Pro BasketballTalk, ProHockeyTalk and all the others called “NBC Sports Talk.”  You can get it here.  Word is that the Android app will be ready soon as well, and of course we’ll let you know when that happens. Indeed, given that I myself have a Droid, I’ll eagerly trumpet that once it goes down.

Below is a screen shot of what the app looks like.  Wonder of wonder. Miracle of miracles.

1. Patrick - Dec 21, 2010 at 7:53 AM

So I downloaded the app but noticed that one cannot change the settings. Any word on if this functionality would be added? I only care about the baseball coverage, so disabling the other sports would cause the app to load faster. At the very least I would like for baseball to be at the top of the list permanently. If there is a customer support email address I would be happy to pass along my thoughts.

• Craig Calcaterra - Dec 21, 2010 at 8:01 AM

Patrick — I’m told that that feature will be added soon. Not sure when, but I think they wanted to make sure the initial rollout was clean, and then they’re going to tinker a bit.

• Patrick - Dec 21, 2010 at 8:42 AM

Thanks for the info.

2. easports82 - Dec 21, 2010 at 8:39 AM

Any word on an app for WebOS?

• Patrick - Dec 21, 2010 at 8:44 AM

Why not use Google Reader?

• easports82 - Dec 21, 2010 at 8:49 AM

I can pull up the site on the web, but if there’s an app that can stream/render faster, I’d get it.

• Patrick - Dec 21, 2010 at 9:35 AM

I could not reply to your latest post, so I’ll just respond here. Google Reader loads webpages much faster than the browser because it is only concerned with text and a photo (assuming there is one in the article). Even when I am stuck with EDGE data speeds, Reader is functional. The problem with Reader is that if you want to see the comments or add one yourself, you then must load the webpage in the browser. The same can be said of the NBC Sports Talk app in its current incarnation; you have to load the site in the browser before reading/adding comments. If you are looking for speed in rendering the information, then Google Reader is probably the best solution right now (most importantly it is platform agnostic). If future releases of the NBC Sports Talk app allow for the removal of other sports (to reduce rendering times) and in-app commenting (the Endgadget app is a good example of how to implement this) then Google Reader will not be as robust as the native app.

3. yankeesfanlen - Dec 21, 2010 at 9:14 AM

Truly a Festivus Miracle! But I’m having a hard time getting it on my Nokia 6215, keep getting some lady from Cincinnati.

4. BC - Dec 21, 2010 at 10:38 AM

I need a Blackberry app!!!!

5. michaelmoser01 - Dec 21, 2010 at 11:46 AM

Nice, it great and supper quick to get the news!

6. ieatpilgrims - Dec 21, 2010 at 12:22 PM

Looks awesome, can’t wait for the android version

All the trade deadline news to know