Is everything OK in Baltimore?

Dec 21, 2010, 8:46 AM EDT

Andy Macphail

I don’t read Roch Kubato’s blog every day so maybe this is just part of his shtick, but if not, this is mildly interesting:

Yesterday passed without the Orioles doing anything. President of baseball operations Andy MacPhail might have made contact with more agents or rival executives, but that’s only an assumption. The media has been left in the dark because he’s no longer returning our calls.

Or maybe it’s just Kubato’s calls he’s not returning.  I have no idea. If it’s everyone’s, though, maybe MacPhail is just getting tired of being asked if three years is too great a commitment to make to a guy like Adam LaRoche.

Kubato has some other suggestions in his post, including cutting bait on LaRoche if he won’t take the $21 million offer that’s on the table, going after Vladimir Guerrero and moving Luke Scott to first base.  Makes sense to me. At least if Luke Scott believes in the existence of first base. If not, though, I won’t judge him because who am I to cast aspersions on a man’s opinions?

1. bcopus - Dec 21, 2010 at 8:58 AM

Low blow, guy.

You should know that if a guy can’t use logic or reason, he’s certainly not going to get complicated things like “sarcasm”.

2. randomdigits - Dec 21, 2010 at 8:59 AM

Andy has a reputation of keeping things close to the sweater vest.

My guess is that Roch is right and LaRoche is waiting to see if a better offer shows up and Andy doesn’t have anything new to say.

If SD is indeed about out of money then the free agent market looks like Washington and Baltimore on one side and Lee and LaRoche on the other. Sooner or later the players are just going to have to accept their fate and sign contracts.

• proudlycanadian - Dec 21, 2010 at 9:18 AM

Why should GM’s tell bloggers or the media what they are actually working on? Lose lips sink ships etc.

3. Panda Claus - Dec 21, 2010 at 9:30 AM

I do read Roch’s blog nearly everyday. The news has slowed to a crawl out of Baltimore and he’s just doing the best to keep his impatient readers, of which I call myself one, up to date.

Roch has a quick wit and isn’t afraid to use it, and just like Craig does here, neither makes the mistake of taking himself too seriously. OK, maybe Craig does once in a while.

4. Detroit Michael - Dec 21, 2010 at 9:34 AM

Maybe Andy MacPhail prioritized his other job responsibilities above returning calls to media. The explanation could be that simple.

5. revolution311 - Dec 21, 2010 at 9:39 AM

Roch’s a great writer and actually appears on Orioles telecasts and local sports TV and radio shows pretty constantly when it’s baseball season. I’ve always liked him and agree with Panda Claus.

Just like they do at every other blog or news website – he’s doing the best he can to give his readers *something.*

6. apbaguy - Dec 21, 2010 at 11:49 AM

Or maybe there really is nothing going on in Baltimore. It’s still Angelos’ team after all. He’s probably in the counting room, counting, and yelling at Bob Cratchit about being one minute late.

7. JBerardi - Dec 21, 2010 at 12:33 PM

” At least if Luke Scott believes in the existence of first base. If not, though, I won’t judge him because who am I to cast aspersions on a man’s opinions?”

That right there is a big ‘old slice of win pie, slathered in awesome sauce.

8. danwhitmer - Dec 21, 2010 at 4:40 PM

I know I am living in a dream world, But maybe he is working on something big….. We still need a veteran starter in here and we have not signed a 1st baseman.. ….. ….. ….. .. …. … maybe he has something cooking and does not want ANYONE to get wind of it.

Bo Porter just first casualty around MLB