Dec 21, 2010, 9:45 AM EST
We all know that giving yourself a nickname is simply inexcusable. Someone has to apply it to you, T-bone, you can’t just pick it yourself. Similarly, you have to earn a nickname. You can’t just start off with one. And this applies to collective names as well as individual ones. I’m looking at you Stan Hochman of the Philadelphia Daily News:
I want the best starting rotation in baseball called “The Un-four-gettables.” Little musical reference in there, which should please Kristen Lee, who loved the city’s cultural climate first time around. And the quaint chance to play Nat King Cole’s version of “Unforgettable” whenever Cole Hamels pitches.
I’m pretty confident that the Phillies’ rotation will be awesome next year. And I think they’re going to win the division by an extremely comfortable margin. But is it too much to ask that they, you know, do a single thing together before we give them a nickname?
And when they do get one, let’s try to make sure it’s not one as lame as “The Un-four-gettables,” OK?
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 26
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 29
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 376
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (376)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)