Dec 21, 2010, 9:45 AM EDT
We all know that giving yourself a nickname is simply inexcusable. Someone has to apply it to you, T-bone, you can’t just pick it yourself. Similarly, you have to earn a nickname. You can’t just start off with one. And this applies to collective names as well as individual ones. I’m looking at you Stan Hochman of the Philadelphia Daily News:
I want the best starting rotation in baseball called “The Un-four-gettables.” Little musical reference in there, which should please Kristen Lee, who loved the city’s cultural climate first time around. And the quaint chance to play Nat King Cole’s version of “Unforgettable” whenever Cole Hamels pitches.
I’m pretty confident that the Phillies’ rotation will be awesome next year. And I think they’re going to win the division by an extremely comfortable margin. But is it too much to ask that they, you know, do a single thing together before we give them a nickname?
And when they do get one, let’s try to make sure it’s not one as lame as “The Un-four-gettables,” OK?
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 33
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 53
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 78
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 60
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)