Dec 21, 2010, 9:45 AM EDT
We all know that giving yourself a nickname is simply inexcusable. Someone has to apply it to you, T-bone, you can’t just pick it yourself. Similarly, you have to earn a nickname. You can’t just start off with one. And this applies to collective names as well as individual ones. I’m looking at you Stan Hochman of the Philadelphia Daily News:
I want the best starting rotation in baseball called “The Un-four-gettables.” Little musical reference in there, which should please Kristen Lee, who loved the city’s cultural climate first time around. And the quaint chance to play Nat King Cole’s version of “Unforgettable” whenever Cole Hamels pitches.
I’m pretty confident that the Phillies’ rotation will be awesome next year. And I think they’re going to win the division by an extremely comfortable margin. But is it too much to ask that they, you know, do a single thing together before we give them a nickname?
And when they do get one, let’s try to make sure it’s not one as lame as “The Un-four-gettables,” OK?
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 8
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 14
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 74
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 52
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)