Dec 21, 2010, 9:45 AM EDT
We all know that giving yourself a nickname is simply inexcusable. Someone has to apply it to you, T-bone, you can’t just pick it yourself. Similarly, you have to earn a nickname. You can’t just start off with one. And this applies to collective names as well as individual ones. I’m looking at you Stan Hochman of the Philadelphia Daily News:
I want the best starting rotation in baseball called “The Un-four-gettables.” Little musical reference in there, which should please Kristen Lee, who loved the city’s cultural climate first time around. And the quaint chance to play Nat King Cole’s version of “Unforgettable” whenever Cole Hamels pitches.
I’m pretty confident that the Phillies’ rotation will be awesome next year. And I think they’re going to win the division by an extremely comfortable margin. But is it too much to ask that they, you know, do a single thing together before we give them a nickname?
And when they do get one, let’s try to make sure it’s not one as lame as “The Un-four-gettables,” OK?
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 2
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 20
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 23
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)