Let’s wait on giving a nickname to the Phillies’ rotation

Dec 21, 2010, 9:45 AM EDT

Phillies' Hamels, Halladay and Howard watch as the Giants celebrate their victory in Game 4 of their Major League Baseball NLCS playoff series in San Francisco

We all know that giving yourself a nickname is simply inexcusable. Someone has to apply it to you, T-bone, you can’t just pick it yourself. Similarly, you have to earn a nickname. You can’t just start off with one.  And this applies to collective names as well as individual ones. I’m looking at you Stan Hochman of the Philadelphia Daily News:

I want the best starting rotation in baseball called “The Un-four-gettables.” Little musical reference in there, which should please Kristen Lee, who loved the city’s cultural climate first time around. And the quaint chance to play Nat King Cole’s version of “Unforgettable” whenever Cole Hamels pitches.

I’m pretty confident that the Phillies’ rotation will be awesome next year. And I think they’re going to win the division by an extremely comfortable margin.  But is it too much to ask that they, you know, do a single thing together before we give them a nickname?

And when they do get one, let’s try to make sure it’s not one as lame as “The Un-four-gettables,” OK?

1. yankeesfanlen - Dec 21, 2010 at 9:51 AM

Oh, that’s right. Somehow the ’11 season hasn’t started. Nice George Costanza reference.

2. Jonny 5 - Dec 21, 2010 at 9:52 AM

Ditto… I read that this morning and it pained me not to write old Stan. Could a nick name be any worse than that?

Loose the four angels which are bound to the great river Delaware. And the four angels were loosed, which were prepared for an hour, and a day, and a month, and a year, for to slay the third part of men.

• Utley's Hair - Dec 21, 2010 at 1:49 PM

What is the third part? And, for that matter, what are the first and second parts?

• Jonny 5 - Dec 21, 2010 at 2:57 PM

A third of all mankind. That’s what it refers to. I was putting it in there because of the number four and slaying. Which is what these 4 should do on a regular basis.

3. phillygirl4 - Dec 21, 2010 at 9:54 AM

Most of the people doing this are writers. I think the fans are just too excited to care. However, R2C2 is STUPID and must be stopped. PLEASE!!

4. larryhockett - Dec 21, 2010 at 10:01 AM

I agree that “The Un-four-getables” is ridiculous and there should be a rule that the official nickname must come from someone under the age of 85.

That said, I don’t think we have to wait for this group of scrappy up-and-comers to accomplish something before they are granted a nickname. Even in December, this collection of talent on the roster warrants a nickname (assuming a clever and appropriate one can be devised). Never before have four pitchers of this skill with these resumes been assembled on a team. Even if they fizzle for some reason, then years from now we can all say, “Remember how The Un-four-gettables went down the drain for the Phillies back in ’11?”

• nps6724 - Dec 21, 2010 at 10:49 AM

1997 Braves.

Halladay, Lee, Oswalt, and Hamels have a combined 3 Cy Youngs and 13 All-Star appearances.

Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz, and Neagle had a combined 6 Cy Youngs and 17 All-Star appearances by 1997 (7 and 28 combined for their careers).

Philly has a great rotation set for next season, but yeah, it’s been done.

• larryhockett - Dec 21, 2010 at 5:22 PM

Touche. I’ll bet that Hamels has a far, far better career than Denny Neagle when it’s all over, though.

• nps6724 - Dec 21, 2010 at 5:51 PM

With baseball or hookers?

• Utley's Hair - Dec 21, 2010 at 6:17 PM

According to the Dykstra post, Nails is an appropriate name for Lenny when it comes to the latter—just don’t ask him to pay.

5. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Dec 21, 2010 at 10:02 AM

I predict Phab Phour is the one that will stick. I’m not saying I like it, I just see it happening. Unless they add someone else, in which case it would be the Phab Phive…

6. Ari Collins - Dec 21, 2010 at 10:06 AM

It’s a bit like Generation K, innit?

7. okobojicat - Dec 21, 2010 at 10:08 AM

I thought it was already decided:

Roys and the Boys.

8. Jonny 5 - Dec 21, 2010 at 10:13 AM

The shrts are already beginning. I saw a very presumptuous one that went kinda like this.

Win Column
    Win Column
    Win Column
    Win Column
    You have a chance.

I don’t do presumptuous so…

But I’d like a shirt with 4 aces being shown, with no words. Just phillies, with 4 “Ace” playing cards underneath would be pretty cool.

9. BC - Dec 21, 2010 at 10:17 AM

How about the Phearsome Phorsome? Or would that be copyright infringement of some sort?

10. Jonny 5 - Dec 21, 2010 at 10:33 AM

Old Gator probably has some other nickname conjured up for these guys like, ” Iddhipada” or “Vaiśravaṇa, Virūḍhaka, Dhṛtarāṣṭra, and Virūpākṣa.” Sworn to protect Dharma. Only that would be worse than “Un-four-gettables”.

• BC - Dec 21, 2010 at 10:47 AM

How about this:
      Vier Männer, die eine Tonne des Geldes machen, wer sehr gut an ihrem Handwerk sind.
      (Four men making a ton of money who are very good at their craft.)

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Dec 21, 2010 at 11:32 AM

Baxter, you know I don’t speak Spanish

11. 18thstreet - Dec 21, 2010 at 10:45 AM

I think they’re going to have a kick-ass rotation. Still, I’ll be that (at least) one of the four disappoint — that’s just the way baseball works. So if I were a Phillie fan I’d hesitate to give a nickname to the rotation. (Also, I’d throw up on the nearest eight-year old, but I digress.) Let’s say Oswalt kinda sucks (or is basically as good as whoever is in the 5th slot) but the other three are great. You’re going to regret nicknaming the four of them as a one.

That said, the OBVIOUS nickname is Phab Phour. I can’t believe there’s a debate.

• BC - Dec 21, 2010 at 10:48 AM

You don’t like the Phearsome Phorsome? :-(

• Jonny 5 - Dec 21, 2010 at 12:31 PM

I like it, if i liked nick naming a pitching staff. I’m fine with nick naming individuals, but a group of individuals is much tougher to nail. But you’re one of the closest I think. Phillies Phearsome Phoursome is long though.. It’s almost easier to name them individually. I’d say if you’re going to rip, rip in town. Second round of “Broad street bullies”? I don’t think the Jump from Hockey to baseball is healthy… Chairmen of the Bank, for Citizens bank park? Delaware Destroyers ? Hey, they will have a nickname, and probably many when you think of it, so we might as well have fun with it I guess.

• Utley's Hair - Dec 21, 2010 at 1:26 PM

I like Phearsome Phoursome and Phab Phour—once they play phour games next season. Or how about Phour and One, since the opponent will possibly just be hitting off tees since thy’re trying to trade our No.5 to Dunkin’ Donuts for a large coffee and a Boston cream donut?

12. youcantpredictbaseball - Dec 21, 2010 at 10:52 AM

The best one I’ve heard, by far, is Fat Joe and the Terror Squad. It only works if they keep Joe Blanton. Please please please keep Joe Blanton.

• BC - Dec 21, 2010 at 11:03 AM

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Dec 21, 2010 at 11:33 AM

Wow, and I thought Phab Phour was a terrible ripoff, but this is even worse considering that exact name is already used.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Dec 21, 2010 at 11:41 AM

This is the best one yet, even if it is a direct ripoff.

13. bigrickonsports - Dec 21, 2010 at 11:55 AM

I am sorry to burst the bubble of the Phillies fans out there but the best pitching staff in baseball next next season will reside in Boston, I am going to predict now that Red Sox nation will have at least two twenty game winners in Beckett and Lester. and remainder of the starters will win 17 games each or better. Look for Dice K to rebound with a strong season this year!

• BC - Dec 21, 2010 at 12:15 PM

Boston’s pitching staff is maybe the fourth or fifth best in baseball – Phillies, Giants clearly ahead. Brewers and Rays are probably a wash with Boston.

• Jonny 5 - Dec 21, 2010 at 12:19 PM

I hear they’re throwing with a lot of Gas there in Baahhhstan… Or am I thinking of something else? Hmm?

• Utley's Hair - Dec 21, 2010 at 1:47 PM

Beans?

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Dec 21, 2010 at 1:01 PM

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Dec 21, 2010 at 1:01 PM

damnit

[IMG]http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w295/theamazingkfz/notsureifserious.jpg[/IMG]

• Utley's Hair - Dec 21, 2010 at 1:44 PM

“Next next season” means 2012, right?

14. mashoaf - Dec 21, 2010 at 12:34 PM

How about Legion of Doom, for a nickname for the Phillies? Then the Giants rotation can be the Justice League, since the Giants beat all four pitchers in the playoffs last year.

• delawarephilliesfan - Dec 21, 2010 at 3:48 PM

Yea, but heavy asterix on that one. Oswalt lost as a reliever, Hamels was effectively “beaten” by his own lineup, and Halladay came back with a win after a tough loss.

Enjoy it while you can Giants fans

15. Chris Fiorentino - Dec 21, 2010 at 12:52 PM

Craig, I, unlike the other poster from Philly before me, respectfully ask that you do not trash a living legend. Mr. Stan Hochman is one of the greatest sportswriters Philadelphia has ever had the privilege of reading. His columns are still classics and he doesn’t need no snot-nosed kid who was nothing but a gleam in his mommy’s eye when he first started writing for the Philadelphia Daily News.

If Stan Hochman says that “The Un-four-gettables” is the nickname, then “The Un-four-gettables” is the nickname.

• larryhockett - Dec 21, 2010 at 5:27 PM

Alright it’s settled. Now who wants a caramel?

16. spudchukar - Dec 21, 2010 at 1:08 PM

Phatuous. I’m leaning toward the “Liberty Belles”.

17. mrjonmeyers - Dec 21, 2010 at 2:29 PM

An Ace and 3 Kings

• jhu1997 - Dec 21, 2010 at 9:34 PM

But watch out for the ace on the river.

18. delawarephilliesfan - Dec 21, 2010 at 3:46 PM

I am going with what I thought when I heard the first rumor: HOH-Lee Moly

• Utley's Hair - Dec 21, 2010 at 5:49 PM

Nah…it’s got to be something easily translated into speech. You don’t get that from HOH-Lee Moly. Phab Phour and Phearsome Phoursome mean the same whether you actually see the “ph” or not.

• Jonny 5 - Dec 21, 2010 at 9:18 PM

The Phab Phour is bad. opposing teams fans will find it easy to twist to their own benefit. Know what i mean? We don’t need that chant now do we?

• Utley's Hair - Dec 22, 2010 at 12:17 AM

Jonny, it’s late, and I seem to be a moron right now—possibly due to the holiday-related work crunch, or maybe I’m dumb enough not to notice it on a regular basis—but I don’t see it.

• Jonny 5 - Dec 22, 2010 at 9:56 AM

Well, let’s just say when we face the mets in NY, expect to hear Phag Four chanted if Phab four is the nick name. Or when we go all interleague and play the yankees. I expect more from Braves fans, But SF?? We will get no respect.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (4002)