Dec 21, 2010, 5:40 PM EDT
Getting tired of waiting for Adam LaRoche to accept or decline their reported three-year, $21 million offer has caused the Orioles to “renew talks with Derrek Lee,” according to Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun.
Zrebiec reports that a deal with LaRoche was believed to be imminent at one point, but now the two sides are at an “impasse” for unknown reasons. He speculates that LaRoche is either holding out for more money or simply “doesn’t want to play in Baltimore.”
In either case the Orioles might be better off signing Lee to a one-year deal anyway. LaRoche is a solid enough player, but a slightly above average first baseman isn’t worth a three-year commitment at that type of money and there’s a strong chance Lee will be the more valuable first baseman in 2011.
Lee is coming off arguably the worst season of his career, yet his .774 OPS is basically the same as the .788 OPS posted by LaRoche. Age and health are also factors, but I’d certainly take my chances on Lee for one year before going anywhere near LaRoche for three years.
- The Lester trade is a win-win 67
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 132
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 90
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (130)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (118)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)