Dec 21, 2010, 9:49 PM EDT
The Mets have been fairly quiet so far this winter and it looks like it will stay that way, at least until after the new year.
According to Andy Martino of the New York Daily News, the Mets are not “engaging further” with Freddy Garcia, beyond what was initially reported earlier this month. They would be open to pursuing him if some of their other options fall through.
With that in mind, Martino hears that the club hasn’t made an offer to Chris Young at any point. However, a team source says that pitching remains “our top priority” and that they plan to sign a pitcher before acquiring a fourth outfielder or any additional help for their bench.
Mets fans shouldn’t freak out over the team’s current holding pattern. Judging by the general lack of activity tonight, I’d say many teams are already in vacation mode.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)