Dec 21, 2010, 3:41 PM EDT
UPDATE: The Los Angeles Times reports that the Angels have pulled their offer to Adrian Beltre off the table. They haven’t, however, closed the door completely on him, contrary to those earlier reports discussed below.
It sounds to me that they simply don’t want to be used by Scott Boras and have their offer shopped to a bunch of other teams. By making this public, anyone else interested know that Beltre does not have an outstanding offer.
1:57 PM: We’ve heard a few relatively weak rumors regarding Adrian Beltre in the past 24 hours or so. It’s been suggested that he’s shopping a five-year, $70 million offer from the Angels to other teams in the hope that someone tops it. It’s also been suggested that the Angels have “closed the door” on Beltre and are thinking of pulling the offer. Neither of those reports have a ton of weight behind them. People are just chattering to fill the vacuum, I think.
The latest: Victor Rojas hears that the stumbling block between Beltre and the Angels is a guaranteed sixth year.
Man, I’m not sure I’d want to go six years on Beltre. Or anyone, really. Although, yeah, that seems to be in fashion this month.
The bigger question, however, is what the heck the Angels do for offense if they don’t get Beltre?
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 85
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)