Dec 21, 2010, 3:41 PM EDT
UPDATE: The Los Angeles Times reports that the Angels have pulled their offer to Adrian Beltre off the table. They haven’t, however, closed the door completely on him, contrary to those earlier reports discussed below.
It sounds to me that they simply don’t want to be used by Scott Boras and have their offer shopped to a bunch of other teams. By making this public, anyone else interested know that Beltre does not have an outstanding offer.
1:57 PM: We’ve heard a few relatively weak rumors regarding Adrian Beltre in the past 24 hours or so. It’s been suggested that he’s shopping a five-year, $70 million offer from the Angels to other teams in the hope that someone tops it. It’s also been suggested that the Angels have “closed the door” on Beltre and are thinking of pulling the offer. Neither of those reports have a ton of weight behind them. People are just chattering to fill the vacuum, I think.
The latest: Victor Rojas hears that the stumbling block between Beltre and the Angels is a guaranteed sixth year.
Man, I’m not sure I’d want to go six years on Beltre. Or anyone, really. Although, yeah, that seems to be in fashion this month.
The bigger question, however, is what the heck the Angels do for offense if they don’t get Beltre?
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)