Dec 21, 2010, 3:41 PM EDT
UPDATE: The Los Angeles Times reports that the Angels have pulled their offer to Adrian Beltre off the table. They haven’t, however, closed the door completely on him, contrary to those earlier reports discussed below.
It sounds to me that they simply don’t want to be used by Scott Boras and have their offer shopped to a bunch of other teams. By making this public, anyone else interested know that Beltre does not have an outstanding offer.
1:57 PM: We’ve heard a few relatively weak rumors regarding Adrian Beltre in the past 24 hours or so. It’s been suggested that he’s shopping a five-year, $70 million offer from the Angels to other teams in the hope that someone tops it. It’s also been suggested that the Angels have “closed the door” on Beltre and are thinking of pulling the offer. Neither of those reports have a ton of weight behind them. People are just chattering to fill the vacuum, I think.
The latest: Victor Rojas hears that the stumbling block between Beltre and the Angels is a guaranteed sixth year.
Man, I’m not sure I’d want to go six years on Beltre. Or anyone, really. Although, yeah, that seems to be in fashion this month.
The bigger question, however, is what the heck the Angels do for offense if they don’t get Beltre?
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 9
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 14
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 75
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 52
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)