Dec 21, 2010, 3:41 PM EDT
UPDATE: The Los Angeles Times reports that the Angels have pulled their offer to Adrian Beltre off the table. They haven’t, however, closed the door completely on him, contrary to those earlier reports discussed below.
It sounds to me that they simply don’t want to be used by Scott Boras and have their offer shopped to a bunch of other teams. By making this public, anyone else interested know that Beltre does not have an outstanding offer.
1:57 PM: We’ve heard a few relatively weak rumors regarding Adrian Beltre in the past 24 hours or so. It’s been suggested that he’s shopping a five-year, $70 million offer from the Angels to other teams in the hope that someone tops it. It’s also been suggested that the Angels have “closed the door” on Beltre and are thinking of pulling the offer. Neither of those reports have a ton of weight behind them. People are just chattering to fill the vacuum, I think.
The latest: Victor Rojas hears that the stumbling block between Beltre and the Angels is a guaranteed sixth year.
Man, I’m not sure I’d want to go six years on Beltre. Or anyone, really. Although, yeah, that seems to be in fashion this month.
The bigger question, however, is what the heck the Angels do for offense if they don’t get Beltre?
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (159)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)