Dec 21, 2010, 3:41 PM EDT
UPDATE: The Los Angeles Times reports that the Angels have pulled their offer to Adrian Beltre off the table. They haven’t, however, closed the door completely on him, contrary to those earlier reports discussed below.
It sounds to me that they simply don’t want to be used by Scott Boras and have their offer shopped to a bunch of other teams. By making this public, anyone else interested know that Beltre does not have an outstanding offer.
1:57 PM: We’ve heard a few relatively weak rumors regarding Adrian Beltre in the past 24 hours or so. It’s been suggested that he’s shopping a five-year, $70 million offer from the Angels to other teams in the hope that someone tops it. It’s also been suggested that the Angels have “closed the door” on Beltre and are thinking of pulling the offer. Neither of those reports have a ton of weight behind them. People are just chattering to fill the vacuum, I think.
The latest: Victor Rojas hears that the stumbling block between Beltre and the Angels is a guaranteed sixth year.
Man, I’m not sure I’d want to go six years on Beltre. Or anyone, really. Although, yeah, that seems to be in fashion this month.
The bigger question, however, is what the heck the Angels do for offense if they don’t get Beltre?
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 39
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 72
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 24
- 2014 Preview: Kansas City Royals 17
- Kris Medlen expects to have another Tommy John surgery 13
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (104)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (102)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (94)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (89)