Dec 22, 2010, 5:05 PM EDT
If you can get past the introductory love story about Adrian Gonzalez and his high school sweetheart (and now wife) in Gordon Edes’ latest at ESPN Boston, you’ll read an interesting inside account of the negotiations between Adrian Gonzalez and the Boston Red Sox during their 24-hour negotiating window earlier this month.
Edes reports that Gonzalez and the Red Sox had hashed out a basic framework of a contract extension, but that the Sox were worried about Gonzalez’s shoulder, which he won’t be able to test until the spring. As a result, the Sox were wary of doing a deal. At the same time, there was anxiety on the part of the Red Sox that, if Albert Pujols signed an extension between now and then, the parameters discussed by Gonzalez and the team would be out the window and Gonzalez would be asking for a ton more. What to do about the Pujols problem? Adrian Gonzalez had an answer:
“That was one of their comments, what if he gets this humongous deal and you want to be closer to him?” Gonzalez said. “I said, ‘Trust me. What the market is today might change by then, but we’re going to negotiate based on what the market is today.”’
That’s a pretty bold promise. In many ways a noble one. But at the same time, maybe a foolish one too. Under such circumstances, Gonzalez accepts all of the risk of waiting several months to do an extension yet reaps none of the rewards if that waiting turns out to be to his benefit.
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 32
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 40
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 50
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 84
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL