Dec 22, 2010, 12:00 PM EDT
Buster Olney’s Hall of Fame selections are buried in his column today. He doesn’t explain his picks there, but I think it’s safe to say that no one will have a ballot quite like his:
Roberto Alomar, Rafael Palmeiro, Tim Raines, Jack Morris, Jeff Bagwell, and Mark McGwire.
There’s obviously no PED stigma for Olney (which he has explained in the past). In some ways he’s tough (no Blyleven) in other ways he’s lenient (Palmeiro, Morris). Buster always seems to be thoughtful about these matters, so I’d be curious to hear his arguments. I’ll say this much: before seeing this ballot, I would have assumed that there was little if any overlap between the people who would vote for both PED users and Jack Morris.
In other Hall news, Rich Lederer, who has been farther out in front of the Bert Blyleven candidacy than anyone — and whom Jon Heyman has specifically called out in his own writing about the Hall of Fame — writes a sharp and highly-detailed rebuttal to Heyman’s stuff. No matter where you fall on the Blyleven/Morris continuum, it’s definitely worth a read. And I’d say that even if he didn’t link HardballTalk with approval near the end.
And yes: I realize we’ve been extremely Hall of Fame-heavy this week. For better or worse, however, it’s really all that’s going on.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)