Dec 22, 2010, 12:00 PM EST
Buster Olney’s Hall of Fame selections are buried in his column today. He doesn’t explain his picks there, but I think it’s safe to say that no one will have a ballot quite like his:
Roberto Alomar, Rafael Palmeiro, Tim Raines, Jack Morris, Jeff Bagwell, and Mark McGwire.
There’s obviously no PED stigma for Olney (which he has explained in the past). In some ways he’s tough (no Blyleven) in other ways he’s lenient (Palmeiro, Morris). Buster always seems to be thoughtful about these matters, so I’d be curious to hear his arguments. I’ll say this much: before seeing this ballot, I would have assumed that there was little if any overlap between the people who would vote for both PED users and Jack Morris.
In other Hall news, Rich Lederer, who has been farther out in front of the Bert Blyleven candidacy than anyone — and whom Jon Heyman has specifically called out in his own writing about the Hall of Fame — writes a sharp and highly-detailed rebuttal to Heyman’s stuff. No matter where you fall on the Blyleven/Morris continuum, it’s definitely worth a read. And I’d say that even if he didn’t link HardballTalk with approval near the end.
And yes: I realize we’ve been extremely Hall of Fame-heavy this week. For better or worse, however, it’s really all that’s going on.
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 33
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 30
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 94
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (95)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)