Dec 22, 2010, 12:00 PM EST
Buster Olney’s Hall of Fame selections are buried in his column today. He doesn’t explain his picks there, but I think it’s safe to say that no one will have a ballot quite like his:
Roberto Alomar, Rafael Palmeiro, Tim Raines, Jack Morris, Jeff Bagwell, and Mark McGwire.
There’s obviously no PED stigma for Olney (which he has explained in the past). In some ways he’s tough (no Blyleven) in other ways he’s lenient (Palmeiro, Morris). Buster always seems to be thoughtful about these matters, so I’d be curious to hear his arguments. I’ll say this much: before seeing this ballot, I would have assumed that there was little if any overlap between the people who would vote for both PED users and Jack Morris.
In other Hall news, Rich Lederer, who has been farther out in front of the Bert Blyleven candidacy than anyone — and whom Jon Heyman has specifically called out in his own writing about the Hall of Fame — writes a sharp and highly-detailed rebuttal to Heyman’s stuff. No matter where you fall on the Blyleven/Morris continuum, it’s definitely worth a read. And I’d say that even if he didn’t link HardballTalk with approval near the end.
And yes: I realize we’ve been extremely Hall of Fame-heavy this week. For better or worse, however, it’s really all that’s going on.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 9
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)