Dec 22, 2010, 12:00 PM EDT
Buster Olney’s Hall of Fame selections are buried in his column today. He doesn’t explain his picks there, but I think it’s safe to say that no one will have a ballot quite like his:
Roberto Alomar, Rafael Palmeiro, Tim Raines, Jack Morris, Jeff Bagwell, and Mark McGwire.
There’s obviously no PED stigma for Olney (which he has explained in the past). In some ways he’s tough (no Blyleven) in other ways he’s lenient (Palmeiro, Morris). Buster always seems to be thoughtful about these matters, so I’d be curious to hear his arguments. I’ll say this much: before seeing this ballot, I would have assumed that there was little if any overlap between the people who would vote for both PED users and Jack Morris.
In other Hall news, Rich Lederer, who has been farther out in front of the Bert Blyleven candidacy than anyone — and whom Jon Heyman has specifically called out in his own writing about the Hall of Fame — writes a sharp and highly-detailed rebuttal to Heyman’s stuff. No matter where you fall on the Blyleven/Morris continuum, it’s definitely worth a read. And I’d say that even if he didn’t link HardballTalk with approval near the end.
And yes: I realize we’ve been extremely Hall of Fame-heavy this week. For better or worse, however, it’s really all that’s going on.
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 1
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 2
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 3
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 59
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 12
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games