Chipper Jones rehabs knee, dry-heaves on neighbor’s lawn

Dec 22, 2010, 5:33 PM EDT

Chipper Jones

Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com has a really good article today about Chipper Jones’ comeback from the torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee that ended his season in mid-August and attaches plenty of question marks to how he’ll fare returning from the injury (and previous talk of retirement) at age 39.

Jones told Crasnick some interesting stuff about how he views the Phillies’ rotation, how he regrets not being able to held send manager Bobby Cox off a winner, and what type of production he expects out of himself in 2011.

All of that was good, but here’s my favorite part:

Come January, Jones will head to his hitting facility in the Atlanta suburb of Suwanee and begin taking batting practice with Brian McCann, Mark DeRosa, Jeff Francoeur, Andruw Jones and his other winter workout buddies. At the moment, he’s focused on lifting weights at the gym and running the hills in his subdivision.

“I actually have a funny story about that,” Jones said. “I’m so out of shape, one of my neighbors caught me dry-heaving on his lawn. We had a nice little chuckle out of it. I grabbed his phone to make sure he didn’t take any video and people would see it on YouTube.”

Being a Braves fan is Craig’s territory, but Jones has always been one of my favorite players and I’m glad he’s coming back at age 39 even after the injury. Much has been made of his decreased production, but Jones has topped an .800 OPS in each of the past two seasons and hit .307 with a .924 OPS in the second half before tearing his ACL.

1. Panda Claus - Dec 22, 2010 at 6:32 PM

There’s something about “dry heaves” in a headline that I just find funny. Glad he wasn’t sick or anything serious though.

Perhaps the yacking on his neighbor’s lawn came about once he realized Jack Morris might not be getting into the Hall of Fame.

2. jamie54 - Dec 22, 2010 at 7:16 PM

Getting paid $13 mil/yr, yea, I guess I can rehab for that amount.

3. jakartinius - Dec 22, 2010 at 9:38 PM

Best of luck, LAWRENCE !

4. Jonny 5 - Dec 23, 2010 at 9:00 AM

Chipper is the enemy. But I’ve always respected him and his ability. I can’t help but like this guy, he comes off classy, and he gives the vibe off that he just loves playing. He’s declined in areas but I think he could still be classified as “pretty fly for a white guy”. Which is good enough to play another season imo. Now let me go read this article..

5. BC - Dec 23, 2010 at 10:57 AM

I despise him as he’s killed the Mets from the day he reached MLB. But I can’t deny he’s HOF material. Heck of a player.
    I thought he was done after last year, the blown knee was it. I think he said that as well at the time. Actually hoping he comes back and gets a chance to walk off the field on his own terms. The Mets will suck next year anyway, what do I care. Would like to see him at least do a Charles Barkley, rehab the heck out of things and come back for a standing o at home for a game. Sounds like he’s doing better than that though and may play a bunch this year.
    Hey, we 40-somethings have to stick together. Go Moyer! Go Wakefield! Except for Favre, he can pound sand.
    PS. I dry-heaved in the parking of my condo the other night after the Giants tanked the game to the Eagles. Anyone gimme any love for that?

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3378)