Dec 22, 2010, 5:33 PM EDT
Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com has a really good article today about Chipper Jones’ comeback from the torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee that ended his season in mid-August and attaches plenty of question marks to how he’ll fare returning from the injury (and previous talk of retirement) at age 39.
Jones told Crasnick some interesting stuff about how he views the Phillies’ rotation, how he regrets not being able to held send manager Bobby Cox off a winner, and what type of production he expects out of himself in 2011.
All of that was good, but here’s my favorite part:
Come January, Jones will head to his hitting facility in the Atlanta suburb of Suwanee and begin taking batting practice with Brian McCann, Mark DeRosa, Jeff Francoeur, Andruw Jones and his other winter workout buddies. At the moment, he’s focused on lifting weights at the gym and running the hills in his subdivision.
“I actually have a funny story about that,” Jones said. “I’m so out of shape, one of my neighbors caught me dry-heaving on his lawn. We had a nice little chuckle out of it. I grabbed his phone to make sure he didn’t take any video and people would see it on YouTube.”
Being a Braves fan is Craig’s territory, but Jones has always been one of my favorite players and I’m glad he’s coming back at age 39 even after the injury. Much has been made of his decreased production, but Jones has topped an .800 OPS in each of the past two seasons and hit .307 with a .924 OPS in the second half before tearing his ACL.
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 2
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 39
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 10
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)