Dec 22, 2010, 5:33 PM EST
Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com has a really good article today about Chipper Jones’ comeback from the torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee that ended his season in mid-August and attaches plenty of question marks to how he’ll fare returning from the injury (and previous talk of retirement) at age 39.
Jones told Crasnick some interesting stuff about how he views the Phillies’ rotation, how he regrets not being able to held send manager Bobby Cox off a winner, and what type of production he expects out of himself in 2011.
All of that was good, but here’s my favorite part:
Come January, Jones will head to his hitting facility in the Atlanta suburb of Suwanee and begin taking batting practice with Brian McCann, Mark DeRosa, Jeff Francoeur, Andruw Jones and his other winter workout buddies. At the moment, he’s focused on lifting weights at the gym and running the hills in his subdivision.
“I actually have a funny story about that,” Jones said. “I’m so out of shape, one of my neighbors caught me dry-heaving on his lawn. We had a nice little chuckle out of it. I grabbed his phone to make sure he didn’t take any video and people would see it on YouTube.”
Being a Braves fan is Craig’s territory, but Jones has always been one of my favorite players and I’m glad he’s coming back at age 39 even after the injury. Much has been made of his decreased production, but Jones has topped an .800 OPS in each of the past two seasons and hit .307 with a .924 OPS in the second half before tearing his ACL.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)