Dec 22, 2010, 2:14 PM EDT
Andrew Gallo, the driver who killed Angels’ pitcher Nick Adenhart has been sentenced to 51 years-to-life in prison.
In addition to Adenhart, Gallo killed Adenhart’s friends Courtney Frances Stewart and Henry Pearson and critically injured a fourth victim, Jon Wilhite.
I’m not sure how sentencing goes in California, but in jurisdictions I’m familiar with, when you get an “X-years-to-life” sentence, you have to serve at least the X-years part. It’s when you’re merely given a term of years (e.g. “51 years”) that earlier parole is available. I’ll update how it will work in Gallo’s case when I can track it down.
Gallo had been tried on three counts of murder and other offenses, including drunk driving. His blood alcohol content was tested at .19 several hours after the accident. Experts testified at trial that it was likely at .22 at the time of the crash. Testimony had him on a seven-hour drinking binge prior to the crash and travelling at close to 70 miles per hour when the van he was driving struck the car carrying Adenhart.
- Felix Hernandez pounded as Mariners lose fourth straight 6
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 4
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (111)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)