Dec 22, 2010, 9:07 AM EDT
Brandon Webb is being pursued by the Rangers, Cubs and maybe the Nationals. And, according to Jerry Crasnick, there’s “an unidentified NL Central team” interested as well.
You can’t fool me with your calm, precise and non-inflammatory rhetoric, Jerry. That’s a mystery team. Don’t worry, I’m a lawyer and I checked. You don’t have to pay Heyman royalties for using that term. Not yet anyway.
Who could it be? Tom Haudricort reports that it’s not the Brewers. Depending on how realistic Webb’s contract demands are, however, it could be any of the others. Even the Pirates, who would be wise to go after reclamation projects like Webb with an eye toward flipping him to a contender if he pans out in the first half. He’d be a fifth starter in St. Louis. He could conceivably break the Reds’ rotation if he’s healthy. The Astros could use all the help they can get.
All I know is that I’m not going to assume that the mystery team is baloney anymore. They have been proven to exist.
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 4
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 56
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 46
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (247)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)