Dec 22, 2010, 2:20 PM EST
According to Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com the Rays, Pirates, and Blue Jays are among the teams interested in free agent reliever Octavio Dotel.
Pittsburgh being in the mix is interesting, because the Pirates signed Dotel to a one-year, $3.5 million deal as a free agent last offseason and then traded him to the Dodgers on July 31 for James McDonald and Andrew Lambo. That was a pretty great return, so perhaps general manager Neal Huntington wants to give it a try again.
Dotel is 37 years old, sometimes struggles to keep the ball in the ballpark, and has lost a bit of velocity in recent years, but he still averaged 92 miles per hour with his fastball in 2010 and racked up 75 strikeouts in just 64 innings. He’s never averaged fewer than 10 strikeouts per nine innings in a full relief season.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)