Dec 22, 2010, 7:20 AM EDT
Dan Shaughnessy has a Hall of Fame vote. Every year he uses his Hall of Fame column to trot out his latest pejorative terms for bloggers or even just younger baseball writers. Last year he called us “stat geeks, those get-a-lifers who are sucking all the joy out of our national pastime.” He’s not as creative this year, but he’s still great fun. Here’s the latest:
Morris is a tougher vote. He’s not going to make it. His 3.90 ERA is high. The silly stat shut-ins don’t like him. Morris is more of a “you had to be there’’ candidate. I was at the 1991 World Series when he won Game 7, 1-0, in 10 innings.
Know what’s fun about this? I mean, apart from the “you had to be there” line and the fact that he premises Jack Morris’ case on a single game? It’s the fact that his own Boston Globe colleague, Pete Abraham, doesn’t like Morris’ case and didn’t vote for him.
Query, Mr. Shaughnessy: is Pete Abraham a “silly stat shut-in?” Better ask him now, Dan! Because you won’t be able to find him come February when he begins eight solid months of covering baseball from press boxes all over the country while you write from whatever bitter cloister you call home.
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 0
- Cliff Lee exits start with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 11
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 46
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 130
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (132)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (124)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)