Dec 22, 2010, 7:20 AM EDT
Dan Shaughnessy has a Hall of Fame vote. Every year he uses his Hall of Fame column to trot out his latest pejorative terms for bloggers or even just younger baseball writers. Last year he called us “stat geeks, those get-a-lifers who are sucking all the joy out of our national pastime.” He’s not as creative this year, but he’s still great fun. Here’s the latest:
Morris is a tougher vote. He’s not going to make it. His 3.90 ERA is high. The silly stat shut-ins don’t like him. Morris is more of a “you had to be there’’ candidate. I was at the 1991 World Series when he won Game 7, 1-0, in 10 innings.
Know what’s fun about this? I mean, apart from the “you had to be there” line and the fact that he premises Jack Morris’ case on a single game? It’s the fact that his own Boston Globe colleague, Pete Abraham, doesn’t like Morris’ case and didn’t vote for him.
Query, Mr. Shaughnessy: is Pete Abraham a “silly stat shut-in?” Better ask him now, Dan! Because you won’t be able to find him come February when he begins eight solid months of covering baseball from press boxes all over the country while you write from whatever bitter cloister you call home.
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 38
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 26
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 25
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 131
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 76
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (198)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (131)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)