Dec 22, 2010, 11:19 AM EDT
Joe Blanton being on the trade block following Philadelphia’s signing of Cliff Lee is no surprise, but Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com speculates that the Phillies may wait to trade Blanton until after free agent Carl Pavano signs.
Rosenthal notes that Blanton and Pavano have had similar results and reports that the Nationals are among at least one team bidding for Pavano that would be interested in trading for Blanton if the free agent signs elsewhere.
According to Rosenthal the Phillies “will not demand much in return for Blanton” because “their goal is to clear as much of his salary as possible.” He’s owed $8.5 million in both 2011 and 2012, while Pavano is said to be seeking a two- or three-year deal for around $10 million per season.
Toss in the fact that Pavano is five years older than Blanton and teams would be smart to talk to the Phillies sooner than later.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 30
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 56
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)