Dec 22, 2010, 11:19 AM EDT
Joe Blanton being on the trade block following Philadelphia’s signing of Cliff Lee is no surprise, but Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com speculates that the Phillies may wait to trade Blanton until after free agent Carl Pavano signs.
Rosenthal notes that Blanton and Pavano have had similar results and reports that the Nationals are among at least one team bidding for Pavano that would be interested in trading for Blanton if the free agent signs elsewhere.
According to Rosenthal the Phillies “will not demand much in return for Blanton” because “their goal is to clear as much of his salary as possible.” He’s owed $8.5 million in both 2011 and 2012, while Pavano is said to be seeking a two- or three-year deal for around $10 million per season.
Toss in the fact that Pavano is five years older than Blanton and teams would be smart to talk to the Phillies sooner than later.
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 7
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 18
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 11
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)