Dec 22, 2010, 11:19 AM EDT
Joe Blanton being on the trade block following Philadelphia’s signing of Cliff Lee is no surprise, but Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com speculates that the Phillies may wait to trade Blanton until after free agent Carl Pavano signs.
Rosenthal notes that Blanton and Pavano have had similar results and reports that the Nationals are among at least one team bidding for Pavano that would be interested in trading for Blanton if the free agent signs elsewhere.
According to Rosenthal the Phillies “will not demand much in return for Blanton” because “their goal is to clear as much of his salary as possible.” He’s owed $8.5 million in both 2011 and 2012, while Pavano is said to be seeking a two- or three-year deal for around $10 million per season.
Toss in the fact that Pavano is five years older than Blanton and teams would be smart to talk to the Phillies sooner than later.
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 0
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 9
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 9
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 29
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 19
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 42
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (188)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)