Dec 22, 2010, 12:34 AM EDT
The New York Yankees have been crowing about how frugal they are lately. Seriously.
First, general manager Brian Cashman talked about how his team’s luxury tax tab was reduced to $18 million this season. “Atta baby. And right now we’re in the $170s,” he said, referring to a 2011 salary number that could actually fall beneath the luxury tax threshold. Not exactly a bunch of penny pinchers, you say? But wait, there’s more.
Also on Tuesday, the Bombers went out and signed a player off of Hank Steinbrenner’s youth team.
The New York Yankees have signed 19-year-old Leonel Vinas to a minor league contract. The right-hander from Long Island was the ace of Hank’s Yanks, a team sponsored by Steinbrenner, co-chairman of the Yankees.
Vinas, who moved to Long Island from the Dominican Republic at age 11, was 12-0 with a 1.12 ERA and 168 strikeouts in 84 innings for “Hank’s Yanks,” according to Bryan Hoch of MLB.com.
Pretty cool story, and Vinas called the chance to play in the Yankee organization a dream come true. He’ll report to Tampa in two weeks to begin his professional career, and will probably start in Rookie ball as a reliever.
Cashman, for his part, made it clear that the signing was not a gimmick move. “This is real,” he told Hoch. “He’s got talent. We’re looking forward to seeing where the talent takes him.”
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 4
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 5
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 12
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 55
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 25
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)