Carl Crawford treats Rays employees to lunch

Dec 23, 2010, 10:01 AM EST

Carl Crawford swinging

Carl Crawford is so nice:

The four-time All-Star who agreed to a $142 million, seven-year deal with the Red Sox this month picked up the tab Wednesday for lunch at Tropicana Field, where about 150 Rays employees feasted on a barbecue meal the Gold Glove left fielder arranged to have delivered to the home of the AL East champions.

I think we’re about to see an arms race with “nice gestures by departing free agents to his former team and/or fans” taking the place of nuclear weapons. Lunch? Ha!  How about dinner with two drink tickets to each employee!  Oh yeah? I’ll see that and throw in a hot cocoa sampler pack for each person!

Oh wait, that’s right: that won’t happen because not everyone is as awesome as Carl Crawford is.  Never mind.

1. PanchoHerreraFanClub - Dec 23, 2010 at 10:30 AM

This was a classy gesture on Crawford’s part; however, I am not sure that eating lunch at Tropicana Field is something I would ever want to do.

• BC - Dec 23, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Would have been a bit of a drive down I-75, but he should have taken them here:

Old Gator, unsure how far south in FL you are… but ever been to one of these places? Ridiculously good. Fried plantains are awesome.

2. bigxrob - Dec 23, 2010 at 10:50 AM

Good move on his part.
    I’m glad he didn’t take the cheap way out and treat the entire fanbase to lunch.

• BC - Dec 23, 2010 at 11:00 AM

All three of them. Dick Vitale and those two creepy guys that sit out in right field and play cribbage and drink Harveys Bristol Cream during the game……

• apbaguy - Dec 23, 2010 at 11:22 AM

That’s funny :)

3. wonkypenguin - Dec 23, 2010 at 11:57 AM

Very cool. I love players who seem to be such great people as well.

4. Cistulli - Dec 23, 2010 at 12:01 PM

You talking about that Ghirardelli hot chocolate, Calcaterra?

I’m just saying, I’d drink the hell out of some Ghirardelli.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester