Dec 23, 2010, 10:01 AM EDT
The four-time All-Star who agreed to a $142 million, seven-year deal with the Red Sox this month picked up the tab Wednesday for lunch at Tropicana Field, where about 150 Rays employees feasted on a barbecue meal the Gold Glove left fielder arranged to have delivered to the home of the AL East champions.
I think we’re about to see an arms race with “nice gestures by departing free agents to his former team and/or fans” taking the place of nuclear weapons. Lunch? Ha! How about dinner with two drink tickets to each employee! Oh yeah? I’ll see that and throw in a hot cocoa sampler pack for each person!
Oh wait, that’s right: that won’t happen because not everyone is as awesome as Carl Crawford is. Never mind.
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 76
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 0
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 23
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 93
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (99)