Dec 23, 2010, 10:01 AM EDT
The four-time All-Star who agreed to a $142 million, seven-year deal with the Red Sox this month picked up the tab Wednesday for lunch at Tropicana Field, where about 150 Rays employees feasted on a barbecue meal the Gold Glove left fielder arranged to have delivered to the home of the AL East champions.
I think we’re about to see an arms race with “nice gestures by departing free agents to his former team and/or fans” taking the place of nuclear weapons. Lunch? Ha! How about dinner with two drink tickets to each employee! Oh yeah? I’ll see that and throw in a hot cocoa sampler pack for each person!
Oh wait, that’s right: that won’t happen because not everyone is as awesome as Carl Crawford is. Never mind.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 12
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 16
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 85
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8