Looks like the Phillies rotation is going to be “R2C2″ whether we like it or not

Dec 23, 2010, 12:00 PM EDT

Phillies' Hamels, Halladay and Howard watch as the Giants celebrate their victory in Game 4 of their Major League Baseball NLCS playoff series in San Francisco

I linked the Stan Hochman column in which he solicited ideas for nicknames for the Phillies’ rotation the other day (recall that he wanted it to be “Un-Four-gettables”).  Well, the mob has spoken and Stan delivers the news:

The winner, by a squeaky margin, was R2C2, a spinoff of the smart-aleck “Star Wars” robot. Good luck trying to get copyright clearance on that one. Finishing second was Four Aces, with the voters equally divided between poker references and a tribute to the Philadelphia music group starring Al Alberts. (Biggest hit: “Love is a Many-Splendored Thing.”)
Um. OK.
Anyway, most people were saying “R2C2″ anyway, so I suppose we’re stuck with that one, for better or worse. And it’s not bad as far as these things go.  Not nearly as awesome as “Fat Joe and the Terror Squad,” which many had suggested. But I suppose it’s better to have something that will still work if Joe Blanton gets traded. Alas.
  1. Chris Fiorentino's Rash - Dec 23, 2010 at 12:10 PM

3 Men and a Baby?

• phillydano - Dec 23, 2010 at 1:19 PM

I like it. Or 3 1/2 Men…

Cole deserves more props then he gets, but its still fun to make fun of him.

• Utley's Hair - Dec 23, 2010 at 4:21 PM

Three men and a guy who carries his dog in a backpack? Or is that too unwieldy?

2. Jeremiah Graves - Dec 23, 2010 at 12:18 PM

“My God I Hope They All Stay Healthy or We’re Every Kind of Screwed”

“Old Guys and Lil Cole”

“A Few Good Years”

3. Panda Claus - Dec 23, 2010 at 12:23 PM

Cliff, Cole, my brother Roy and my other brother Roy.
    The 4 Roys (psst, Mr. Lee and Mr. Hamels we need to talk)
    Roy-Roy and the Southside Boys (south as in lefty).

4. sdelmonte - Dec 23, 2010 at 12:39 PM

Roy vey.

5. narrabeen23 - Dec 23, 2010 at 12:53 PM

Just keep Blanton so they can call themselves “Fat Joe and the Terror Squad”. Problem solved

• disulfide - Dec 23, 2010 at 1:52 PM

I totally agree.

6. phillydano - Dec 23, 2010 at 1:14 PM

Why not Charlie’s Angels? Better than R2C2.

Atleast we dont have to deal with H2O anymore…

7. Walk - Dec 23, 2010 at 5:30 PM

I was rooting for Roys and the boys, well as much as i would root for a bad nickname any way.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. M. Cuddyer (3032)