Dec 23, 2010, 3:00 PM EDT
This is easily my favorite Cliff Lee column I’ve seen written by anyone anywhere. And I say that even though the writer seems to believe that Abner Doubleday invented baseball. Just treat it like Belushi’s “the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor” speech in “Animal House.” Forget it, he’s on a roll:
Cliff Lee is more than just the modern-day Sandy Koufax. At least to Philadelphia Jews, he is.
Let me explain. Sure, Mr. Lee may be a good ‘ole Arkansas boy who enjoys a hunting expedition and has the (non-Jewish) good looks of a young John Wayne. No matter. The man was — and, by declining to don Yankees pinstripes, still is — the sheriff that Philadelphia Jews have longed for in our longtime battle with the city of New York — and our insufferable relatives who call it home.
It just goes on and on like that and it’s nothing short of glorious.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (159)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)