Dec 23, 2010, 3:00 PM EST
This is easily my favorite Cliff Lee column I’ve seen written by anyone anywhere. And I say that even though the writer seems to believe that Abner Doubleday invented baseball. Just treat it like Belushi’s “the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor” speech in “Animal House.” Forget it, he’s on a roll:
Cliff Lee is more than just the modern-day Sandy Koufax. At least to Philadelphia Jews, he is.
Let me explain. Sure, Mr. Lee may be a good ‘ole Arkansas boy who enjoys a hunting expedition and has the (non-Jewish) good looks of a young John Wayne. No matter. The man was — and, by declining to don Yankees pinstripes, still is — the sheriff that Philadelphia Jews have longed for in our longtime battle with the city of New York — and our insufferable relatives who call it home.
It just goes on and on like that and it’s nothing short of glorious.
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 13
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 27
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 91
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 144
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)