Dec 23, 2010, 3:00 PM EDT
This is easily my favorite Cliff Lee column I’ve seen written by anyone anywhere. And I say that even though the writer seems to believe that Abner Doubleday invented baseball. Just treat it like Belushi’s “the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor” speech in “Animal House.” Forget it, he’s on a roll:
Cliff Lee is more than just the modern-day Sandy Koufax. At least to Philadelphia Jews, he is.
Let me explain. Sure, Mr. Lee may be a good ‘ole Arkansas boy who enjoys a hunting expedition and has the (non-Jewish) good looks of a young John Wayne. No matter. The man was — and, by declining to don Yankees pinstripes, still is — the sheriff that Philadelphia Jews have longed for in our longtime battle with the city of New York — and our insufferable relatives who call it home.
It just goes on and on like that and it’s nothing short of glorious.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 125
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 18
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 46
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 48
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 353
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (196)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)