Dec 23, 2010, 5:55 PM EST
Texas has agreed to a one-year contract with Arthur Rhodes, according to Steve Phillips of AOL Fanhouse, who reports that the deal also includes a vesting option for 2012 after the veteran left-hander made his first All-Star team this year at age 41.
Rhodes was classified as a Type A free agent, but because the Reds didn’t offer him arbitration the Rangers won’t have to give up a draft pick to sign him.
He had a 2.29 ERA and 50/18 K/BB ratio in 55 innings for Cincinnati, marking Rhodes’ third straight season with an ERA below 3.00. He held left-handed hitters to a .172 batting average during that three-year span and also allowed right-handers to hit just .232 to show that he’s capable of more than left-handed specialist duties.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 22
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 26
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 374
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)