Dec 23, 2010, 9:37 AM EDT
Buster Olney says that the Padres — the odd men out on Adam LaRoche and Derrek Lee, it seems — are considering signing Russell Branyan and using him in a platoon at first base. Olney mentions Kyle Blanks as a potential platoon partner but he’s going to miss a good chunk of next season due to Tommy John surgery.
And Branyan would need a platoon partner. He continued to put the hurt on righties last year, hitting 19 of his 25 homers against them while posting an .874 OPS. Against lefties, however, he was sub-Francoeurian.
Still, Branyan is exactly the kind of guy someone in need of a stop-gap first baseman should be looking for. And you don’t have to pay him $21 million over three years to get him. Orioles.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)