Dec 23, 2010, 9:37 AM EDT
Buster Olney says that the Padres — the odd men out on Adam LaRoche and Derrek Lee, it seems — are considering signing Russell Branyan and using him in a platoon at first base. Olney mentions Kyle Blanks as a potential platoon partner but he’s going to miss a good chunk of next season due to Tommy John surgery.
And Branyan would need a platoon partner. He continued to put the hurt on righties last year, hitting 19 of his 25 homers against them while posting an .874 OPS. Against lefties, however, he was sub-Francoeurian.
Still, Branyan is exactly the kind of guy someone in need of a stop-gap first baseman should be looking for. And you don’t have to pay him $21 million over three years to get him. Orioles.
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 1
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 10
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 32
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 61
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 27
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 12
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)