Dec 23, 2010, 9:37 AM EST
Buster Olney says that the Padres — the odd men out on Adam LaRoche and Derrek Lee, it seems — are considering signing Russell Branyan and using him in a platoon at first base. Olney mentions Kyle Blanks as a potential platoon partner but he’s going to miss a good chunk of next season due to Tommy John surgery.
And Branyan would need a platoon partner. He continued to put the hurt on righties last year, hitting 19 of his 25 homers against them while posting an .874 OPS. Against lefties, however, he was sub-Francoeurian.
Still, Branyan is exactly the kind of guy someone in need of a stop-gap first baseman should be looking for. And you don’t have to pay him $21 million over three years to get him. Orioles.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 0
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 54
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27