Dec 24, 2010, 3:00 PM EDT
Christmas Eve is a good day for stories about ballplayers doing philanthropic things. Though the stories tend to sound the same, the underlying message never gets old. And that’s especially true when the message involves David Ortiz dressed up like Santa Claus:
In many ways, Ortiz is like a Dominican Santa — gregarious in nature, large in stature and always looking to make young people smile.
“Kids, man, you can never go wrong when it comes to kids, you know what I’m saying?” Ortiz said. “Kids are like the future of life. You need to try to teach them how to do the right thing, even though they might not have what everybody would like as a kid. Any time you can bring happiness to kids, you have to.”
Click through to See Papi Claus. He looks pretty awesome. But I wonder if he spits on both his hands and rubs them together before each kid gets on his lap.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17