Papi Claus

Dec 24, 2010, 3:00 PM EDT

Daisuke Matsuzaka

Christmas Eve is a good day for stories about ballplayers doing philanthropic things. Though the stories tend to sound the same, the underlying message never gets old. And that’s especially true when the message involves David Ortiz dressed up like Santa Claus:

In many ways, Ortiz is like a Dominican Santa — gregarious in nature, large in stature and always looking to make young people smile.

“Kids, man, you can never go wrong when it comes to kids, you know what I’m saying?” Ortiz said. “Kids are like the future of life. You need to try to teach them how to do the right thing, even though they might not have what everybody would like as a kid. Any time you can bring happiness to kids, you have to.”

Click through to See Papi Claus. He looks pretty awesome.  But I wonder if he spits on both his hands and rubs them together before each kid gets on his lap.

1. bigharold - Dec 24, 2010 at 3:05 PM

That’s a nice sentiment from Ortiz. As a Yankee fan it’s hard not to like Ortiz even when he’s hitting that game winning HR. He seems like a truly nice guy.

I still hope he hits about .238 next year with 9 HRs and about 36 rbis, .. but he sure seems like a nice guy!

2. Old Gator - Dec 24, 2010 at 3:21 PM

All that’s missing is that opening shot of Santa barfing in the alley….

• apbaguy - Dec 24, 2010 at 3:31 PM

…clutching a bottle in a brown paper sack…

• Old Gator - Dec 24, 2010 at 4:50 PM

Woolite, wasn’t it?

3. Panda Claus - Dec 25, 2010 at 11:27 AM

I can appreciate the whole “Claus” thing.

4. profootballwalk - Dec 25, 2010 at 8:10 PM

Every time I see pictures of him at an event with children and he’s got the sunglasses on, it pisses me off. Take the shades off, mister cool, and let the kids see your eyes.

So sure enough, I click through and he’s got the shades on with the Santa suit. What a turd.

5. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Dec 28, 2010 at 2:33 PM

I recall when the Cubs signed Soriano in late 2006, he spent Christmas Day that year at Children’s Memorial Hospital giving out gifts. I never forget that sort of thing.

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS