Dec 24, 2010, 11:10 AM EDT
Tracy Ringolsby makes a point that I find to be eminently reasonable:
There is a strong feeling among some that amphetamines actually enhance performances over a broader base than steroids. What it all underscores is that over time, athletes, in any sport, are always looking for ways to gain an edge on the competition. When one advantage becomes commonplace or is outlawed, the search intensifies for a newer and better aid.
With the advancements in science over time, the methods for gaining that edge have become more sophisticated, which makes it more difficult to detect the usage. As a result, in evaluating greatness of athletes — in baseball and other sports — it is always wiser to evaluate who were the elite of their era, and not try to draw firm statistical comparisons from one era to another because the conditions change so drastically.
That’s why to blindly eliminate anyone even suspected of using steroids from Hall of Fame consideration is inconsistent from previous evaluations.
Good point. Of course, how one can overlook steroids yet still find Mark McGwire lacking is a bit curious, but maybe like me Ringolsby is a “discounter” when it comes to known PED users (i.e. we don’t bar them, but we grade them downward).
Oh, and John Franco gets Ringolsby’s vote. I can’t say I recall seeing him get any other support. I’m not gonna go crazy about this. I don’t like it when unworthy candidates get bona fide campaigns behind them like Jack Morris is getting, but I think the random votes to random people like Franco are kinda fun. I’m just waiting to see if Lenny Harris gets a vote.
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 18
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 35
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 40
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 16
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)