Dec 24, 2010, 10:10 AM EST
Or so this New York Post article wants us to believe.
In it Eiland says that he had a plan to fix him this winter and that Burnett was totally on board but, oh well, he got fired. The article goes on to note that “when [Burnett] opened 2010 with a 6-2 ledger and a 3.28 ERA through May, there were no warning signs of what was ahead, and that his plunge into awfulness corresponded exactly with Eiland leaving the team for personal reasons at the beginning of June. Eiland also makes it clear that he totally wouldn’t have had Burnett face Bengie Molina in the ALCS. You know, when Girardi did and Molina hit that big homer.
And there may be a core of truth to all of those things. But boy are these a bunch of self-serving observations by Eiland. The implication is that only Eiland could help A.J. Burnett, which sets up criticism of Larry Rothschild next year if Burnett continues to stink. The public second guessing of his former boss is simply bad form and not professional.
Not sure what the point of any of this is, but it doesn’t reflect very well on Eiland.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 18
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 28
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)