So I guess Dave Eiland was the A.J. Burnett whisperer

Dec 24, 2010, 10:10 AM EST

burnett

Or so this New York Post article wants us to believe.

In it Eiland says that he had a plan to fix him this winter and that Burnett was totally on board but, oh well, he got fired.  The article goes on to note that “when [Burnett] opened 2010 with a 6-2 ledger and a 3.28 ERA through May, there were no warning signs of what was ahead, and that his plunge into awfulness corresponded exactly with Eiland leaving the team for personal reasons at the beginning of June.  Eiland also makes it clear that he totally wouldn’t have had Burnett face Bengie Molina in the ALCS. You know, when Girardi did and Molina hit that big homer.

And there may be a core of truth to all of those things. But boy are these a bunch of self-serving observations by Eiland. The implication is that only Eiland could help A.J. Burnett, which sets up criticism of Larry Rothschild next year if Burnett continues to stink. The public second guessing of his former boss is simply bad form and not professional.

Not sure what the point of any of this is, but it doesn’t reflect very well on Eiland.

1. PanchoHerreraFanClub - Dec 24, 2010 at 10:50 AM

And I would have walked Bobby Thompson if I was managing the Dodgers.

2. proudlycanadian - Dec 24, 2010 at 11:14 AM

I wouldn’t have let the “Wild Thing” pitch to Joe Carter either.

3. yankeesfanlen - Dec 24, 2010 at 12:18 PM

Since this seems to be the place for revisionist history, I wouldn’t have let Mo close in game 7 for the ’01 Series.

Merry Christmas to all!

• bigharold - Dec 24, 2010 at 1:35 PM

I would’ve let Mo close, I just wouldn’t have pulled the middle infielders in to cut off the run at home. Instead of a bloop game winning single it would have be a soft line out.

• iftheshoefits2 - Dec 24, 2010 at 1:53 PM

I would have let Mo close, but I would have insisted they close the roof when it strained. No rain= Mo doesn’t slip, makes the play at 2nd on the bunt, and no need to have the infield in.
        Uhm, didn’t AJ have good years with both Florida and Toronto before Eiland was his pitching coach? So, isn’t that why the Yanks signed him?

According to ERA+, hes had 5 years better than 2009. So, maybe Mr. Eiland better focus on his personal reasons, or Tampa, and less on what he WOULD have done for AJ in 2011. Because he didn’t seem to right the ship upon his magical return last year…

4. bigharold - Dec 24, 2010 at 1:38 PM

“… which sets up criticism of Larry Rothschild next year if Burnett continues to stink.”

Of course, if Burnett is 18-3 with a mid 3 era I guess it WAS Eiland’s fault all along. Sometimes it’s just better to shut up Dave.

5. proudlycanadian - Dec 24, 2010 at 3:04 PM

I do not think that any Jays fan was surprised by Burnett’s performance. We know how erratic he can be.

6. bloodysock - Dec 24, 2010 at 3:18 PM

I wouldn’t have left Pedro in after 115 pitches.

• bigharold - Dec 24, 2010 at 3:56 PM

As I remember, it was 105, .. but whos counting.

7. buddaley - Dec 24, 2010 at 6:02 PM

I don’t read King or the post, but I read the story as a lot of innuendo and very little substance. The only quotation refers to the decision to pitch to Molina, and I do not know how that quotation was provoked (I do not mean that negatively, just that I do not know what preceded it) nor do I know from the article anything else about what Eiland might have said about his role beyond that he and Burnett had a plan to work on things this off-season.

Why is he setting Rothchild up? It is King who is saying that Burnett experienced problems coincident with Eiland’s absence, not Eiland. I suppose there is indeed another quotation, but that is innocuous about Eiland hoping the best for Burnett and verifying that he and Burnett were on the same page. Seems to me the article is a typical journalistic trick of hyping some supposed insult to get a reaction.

• nyyankeefanforever - Dec 24, 2010 at 11:49 PM

I have to agree with Craig’s take on Eiland’s statements in this and other recent interviews with NY and Tampa media. Saying Burnett has better days ahead and wishing him and his next coach well should be the beginning and end of anything he has to say about the topic, publicly or privately. He has a lot of nerve publicly questioning any actions by others in the Yankee organization when he failed so miserably coaching Burnett, Vazquez, Joba, Robertson and Logan among others — all of whom regressed this past year. Especially nervy for a guy who had to bail on his job in midseason for some rehab and was not outed by the very people he now cast aspersions upon. I hope everyone takes note of the fact that Rays aren’t letting Eiland anywhere within a mile of THEIR players. Eiland is no longer a coach of any kind; he’s a front-office suit with the Rays, who were only comfortable hiring him for THAT because his wife and teenage daughters live less than 15 minutes from the Trop so they’re fairly comfortable he’ll head home every night rather than hit the bars like he did up North. Rothschild is an awesome upgrade in any case. Good riddance, you boozehound.

• tuck1 - Dec 29, 2010 at 10:13 PM

you all don’t know anything!!! Dave is a great person and a great coach. None of us are perfect and I would love to see any of you air your dirty laundry!!! None of what any of you say is what happened and why don’t you just move on and mind your own business. I would bet a million dollars your business needs attending to!

8. pisano - Dec 25, 2010 at 1:17 AM

Christ, he had two years to try to fix that bum and nothing helped. Like a previous poster wrote (I think it was proudlycanadian) he pitches good in his walk year. The problem for the Yankees is there will be no walk year so he’ll never pitch good for them.

• proudlycanadian - Dec 25, 2010 at 11:08 AM

He has had 2 walk years in his career and ended up with big contracts after each. He has great “stuff” but is very prone to losing his concentration in an inning and consequently giving up crooked numbers.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5123)
  2. M. Kemp (3555)
  3. J. Upton (2831)
  4. J. Kang (2816)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2720)
  1. C. McGehee (2717)