Dec 24, 2010, 10:10 AM EDT
Or so this New York Post article wants us to believe.
In it Eiland says that he had a plan to fix him this winter and that Burnett was totally on board but, oh well, he got fired. The article goes on to note that “when [Burnett] opened 2010 with a 6-2 ledger and a 3.28 ERA through May, there were no warning signs of what was ahead, and that his plunge into awfulness corresponded exactly with Eiland leaving the team for personal reasons at the beginning of June. Eiland also makes it clear that he totally wouldn’t have had Burnett face Bengie Molina in the ALCS. You know, when Girardi did and Molina hit that big homer.
And there may be a core of truth to all of those things. But boy are these a bunch of self-serving observations by Eiland. The implication is that only Eiland could help A.J. Burnett, which sets up criticism of Larry Rothschild next year if Burnett continues to stink. The public second guessing of his former boss is simply bad form and not professional.
Not sure what the point of any of this is, but it doesn’t reflect very well on Eiland.
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 4
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 15
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 49
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)