Dec 24, 2010, 10:10 AM EST
Or so this New York Post article wants us to believe.
In it Eiland says that he had a plan to fix him this winter and that Burnett was totally on board but, oh well, he got fired. The article goes on to note that “when [Burnett] opened 2010 with a 6-2 ledger and a 3.28 ERA through May, there were no warning signs of what was ahead, and that his plunge into awfulness corresponded exactly with Eiland leaving the team for personal reasons at the beginning of June. Eiland also makes it clear that he totally wouldn’t have had Burnett face Bengie Molina in the ALCS. You know, when Girardi did and Molina hit that big homer.
And there may be a core of truth to all of those things. But boy are these a bunch of self-serving observations by Eiland. The implication is that only Eiland could help A.J. Burnett, which sets up criticism of Larry Rothschild next year if Burnett continues to stink. The public second guessing of his former boss is simply bad form and not professional.
Not sure what the point of any of this is, but it doesn’t reflect very well on Eiland.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 82
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)