The Giants are locking up Krukow and Kuiper for six more years

Dec 24, 2010, 4:00 PM EST

Krukow and Kuiper

I never had a chance to listen Mike Krukow and Duane Kuiper doing Giants games until this year when I began surfing between multiple games each night for a living.  But having had a chance to check them out in 2010, I agree: they’re near the top of the heap as far as broadcasters go.  The Giants must believe so too, because they’re about to lock them up for six more years:

The Giants are close to bringing back two of their most prized free agents: television broadcasters Duane Kuiper and Mike Krukow. The club has reached tentative agreements on six-year extensions for the well-regarded duo. Both ended their playing careers with the Giants and have called their games for a generation … Though terms were not revealed, top local play-by-play and color announcers usually command $500,000 a year, or slightly more.

I didn’t realize how much local broadcasters made. Krukow and Kuiper probably deserve that if anyone does.  Some of you other guys?  Hey, good for you, but you’re basically stealing.

1. eknirb - Dec 24, 2010 at 4:27 PM

they are the best. and their daggone bobblehead doll (sold in limited #’s in 2003) go for like 300-400 dollars on eBay. Please reissue, Giants, thanks.

• b7p19 - Dec 24, 2010 at 4:30 PM

I’m not a fan.

• sfchamps2010 - Dec 25, 2010 at 1:42 PM

then your not a fan of baseball my friend

2. Old Gator - Dec 24, 2010 at 5:17 PM

You think they’re locking them up in the same basement cell with Bradley Manning? Aren’t they a little old for that sort of treatment?

3. clydeserra - Dec 24, 2010 at 8:54 PM

You couldn’t be wronger about this. Kuiper makes me hate baseball.

4. clydeserra - Dec 24, 2010 at 8:55 PM

Posted too soon,

And Kruwkow makes me hate living.

• FYMYAWF - Dec 24, 2010 at 10:15 PM

Always has to be one contrary troll in the bunch.

5. FYMYAWF - Dec 24, 2010 at 10:14 PM

This makes me so happy. There’s nothing better than a Kruk and Kuip called game in the summer. Truly like trusted friends.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester