Dec 24, 2010, 4:00 PM EDT
I never had a chance to listen Mike Krukow and Duane Kuiper doing Giants games until this year when I began surfing between multiple games each night for a living. But having had a chance to check them out in 2010, I agree: they’re near the top of the heap as far as broadcasters go. The Giants must believe so too, because they’re about to lock them up for six more years:
The Giants are close to bringing back two of their most prized free agents: television broadcasters Duane Kuiper and Mike Krukow. The club has reached tentative agreements on six-year extensions for the well-regarded duo. Both ended their playing careers with the Giants and have called their games for a generation … Though terms were not revealed, top local play-by-play and color announcers usually command $500,000 a year, or slightly more.
I didn’t realize how much local broadcasters made. Krukow and Kuiper probably deserve that if anyone does. Some of you other guys? Hey, good for you, but you’re basically stealing.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 8
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 162
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 6
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 30
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (249)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (162)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)