Dec 24, 2010, 4:00 PM EDT
I never had a chance to listen Mike Krukow and Duane Kuiper doing Giants games until this year when I began surfing between multiple games each night for a living. But having had a chance to check them out in 2010, I agree: they’re near the top of the heap as far as broadcasters go. The Giants must believe so too, because they’re about to lock them up for six more years:
The Giants are close to bringing back two of their most prized free agents: television broadcasters Duane Kuiper and Mike Krukow. The club has reached tentative agreements on six-year extensions for the well-regarded duo. Both ended their playing careers with the Giants and have called their games for a generation … Though terms were not revealed, top local play-by-play and color announcers usually command $500,000 a year, or slightly more.
I didn’t realize how much local broadcasters made. Krukow and Kuiper probably deserve that if anyone does. Some of you other guys? Hey, good for you, but you’re basically stealing.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 17
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 25
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 105
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8