Dec 24, 2010, 4:00 PM EST
I never had a chance to listen Mike Krukow and Duane Kuiper doing Giants games until this year when I began surfing between multiple games each night for a living. But having had a chance to check them out in 2010, I agree: they’re near the top of the heap as far as broadcasters go. The Giants must believe so too, because they’re about to lock them up for six more years:
The Giants are close to bringing back two of their most prized free agents: television broadcasters Duane Kuiper and Mike Krukow. The club has reached tentative agreements on six-year extensions for the well-regarded duo. Both ended their playing careers with the Giants and have called their games for a generation … Though terms were not revealed, top local play-by-play and color announcers usually command $500,000 a year, or slightly more.
I didn’t realize how much local broadcasters made. Krukow and Kuiper probably deserve that if anyone does. Some of you other guys? Hey, good for you, but you’re basically stealing.
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 22
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 44
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 21
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 56
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 106
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (111)