Dec 25, 2010, 1:32 PM EDT
Jamie Moyer will make a comeback in 2012 and there’s nothing you can do about it. At least, that’s the 48-year-old’s current mindset.
He underwent Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery in early December and is going to miss the entire 2011 season while in recovery mode from the procedure. But he expects to find an invitation to spring training heading into 2012 and he believes that he still has the goods to earn himself a major league roster spot.
The veteran southpaw spoke optimistically to Larry Stone of the Seattle Times on Friday afternoon, just under four weeks removed from major elbow surgery:
“A lot of people have seen signs over the course of my career that I should quit or retire,” Moyer said. “In all honesty, I just don’t feel like I’m ready to give it up. I feel I’m entitled to make my own decision. The baseball people I’ve talked to before and since the surgery, all have been very positive and very supportive.”
Moyer posted a solid 1.10 WHIP and 4.84 ERA over 19 starts for the Phillies in 2010 and held left-handed batters to a .194 batting average. The odds are probably against him making another appearance in the major leagues, but the odds were against him last year and the year before that.
Heck, the odds were against him once he hit age 40.
Not to get all sentimental, but Moyer is in the business of defying the odds.
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 60
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 35
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 38
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 9
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The Royals asked a fan in Marlins gear to change his shirt last night. He refused. (86)