Dec 26, 2010, 12:38 PM EDT
Cafardo has an update on the ongoing talks today in his info-packed Sunday notes column.
The two sides have not yet reached an official agreement because Uggla’s camp is seeking “a few more dollars,” according to Cafardo’s source, but the assumption is that a contract will be signed during the first week of January.
The Braves snagged Uggla from the Marlins earlier this winter for utilityman Omar Infante and left-handed relief prospect Mike Dunn. The 30-year-old Uggla is going to play second base in Atlanta, just as he did in south Florida. Martin Prado will be pushed to left field.
He’s not a strong defensive infielder, but Uggla has tallied at least 30 home runs in each of the last four seasons and finished with a strong .287/.369/.508 batting line and a team-leading 105 RBI over 159 games for the Marlins in 2010. He should fit snugly in the heart of the Braves’ batting order for at least the next couple of seasons. Whether he is still mashing in his mid-30s is up for debate.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 8
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 22
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 34
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)