Dec 26, 2010, 12:38 PM EDT
Cafardo has an update on the ongoing talks today in his info-packed Sunday notes column.
The two sides have not yet reached an official agreement because Uggla’s camp is seeking “a few more dollars,” according to Cafardo’s source, but the assumption is that a contract will be signed during the first week of January.
The Braves snagged Uggla from the Marlins earlier this winter for utilityman Omar Infante and left-handed relief prospect Mike Dunn. The 30-year-old Uggla is going to play second base in Atlanta, just as he did in south Florida. Martin Prado will be pushed to left field.
He’s not a strong defensive infielder, but Uggla has tallied at least 30 home runs in each of the last four seasons and finished with a strong .287/.369/.508 batting line and a team-leading 105 RBI over 159 games for the Marlins in 2010. He should fit snugly in the heart of the Braves’ batting order for at least the next couple of seasons. Whether he is still mashing in his mid-30s is up for debate.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (159)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)