Dec 26, 2010, 12:38 PM EST
Cafardo has an update on the ongoing talks today in his info-packed Sunday notes column.
The two sides have not yet reached an official agreement because Uggla’s camp is seeking “a few more dollars,” according to Cafardo’s source, but the assumption is that a contract will be signed during the first week of January.
The Braves snagged Uggla from the Marlins earlier this winter for utilityman Omar Infante and left-handed relief prospect Mike Dunn. The 30-year-old Uggla is going to play second base in Atlanta, just as he did in south Florida. Martin Prado will be pushed to left field.
He’s not a strong defensive infielder, but Uggla has tallied at least 30 home runs in each of the last four seasons and finished with a strong .287/.369/.508 batting line and a team-leading 105 RBI over 159 games for the Marlins in 2010. He should fit snugly in the heart of the Braves’ batting order for at least the next couple of seasons. Whether he is still mashing in his mid-30s is up for debate.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 30
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 30
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 71
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)