Dec 26, 2010, 4:09 PM EDT
More developments here in the hunt for free agent right-hander Brandon Webb.
The NL Central “mystery” team that was mentioned earlier by ESPN.com’s Jayson Stark has been identified by Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com as the Cincinnati Reds. Rosenthal believes that Webb is now choosing between Texas and Cincinnati.
The 31-year-old righty knows Reds pitching coach Bryan Price and Cincy trainer Paul Lessard from their days together with the Diamondbacks, but he also has connections with Rangers medical director Keith Meister.
In the end, it’s going to come down to money. Which team will offer the 31-year-old right-hander more in base salary and more in performance-based incentives?
The Yankees have also been monitoring the negotiations and could always decide to swoop in with a last-minute proposal.
Webb is expected to decide on a landing spot within the next couple of days.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (122)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (115)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (81)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PST: Bitter rivals Bayern, Dortmund collide in CL final
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final