Dec 26, 2010, 4:09 PM EDT
More developments here in the hunt for free agent right-hander Brandon Webb.
The NL Central “mystery” team that was mentioned earlier by ESPN.com’s Jayson Stark has been identified by Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com as the Cincinnati Reds. Rosenthal believes that Webb is now choosing between Texas and Cincinnati.
The 31-year-old righty knows Reds pitching coach Bryan Price and Cincy trainer Paul Lessard from their days together with the Diamondbacks, but he also has connections with Rangers medical director Keith Meister.
In the end, it’s going to come down to money. Which team will offer the 31-year-old right-hander more in base salary and more in performance-based incentives?
The Yankees have also been monitoring the negotiations and could always decide to swoop in with a last-minute proposal.
Webb is expected to decide on a landing spot within the next couple of days.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 1
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 134
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 19
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 48
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 49
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (198)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (163)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)