Dec 26, 2010, 11:05 AM EDT
From George King III of the New York Post comes word that the Yankees are monitoring the negotiations surrounding free agent right-hander Brandon Webb. However, the Yanks “don’t appear to be in a hurry to do anything.”
New York is still waiting on a decision from veteran lefty Andy Pettitte, who is weighing whether to retire from the game of baseball or return for a 16th major league season. If he decides to hang up his cleats for good and announces that decision within the next week or two, the Yanks may go hard after Webb.
For now, though, they’re simply practicing patience.
Webb hasn’t appeared in a big league game since the first week of the 2009 season because of chronic shoulder issues, but he registered a 3.30 ERA and 1.20 WHIP over 34 starts in 2008 and won the National League Cy Young Award back in 2006 with a 3.10 ERA, 1.13 WHIP and 178 strikeouts in 235 innings.
The Rangers, Cubs and Nationals have also been tracking the 31-year-old right-hander.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 13
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 77
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 113
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (114)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)