Dec 26, 2010, 11:05 AM EDT
From George King III of the New York Post comes word that the Yankees are monitoring the negotiations surrounding free agent right-hander Brandon Webb. However, the Yanks “don’t appear to be in a hurry to do anything.”
New York is still waiting on a decision from veteran lefty Andy Pettitte, who is weighing whether to retire from the game of baseball or return for a 16th major league season. If he decides to hang up his cleats for good and announces that decision within the next week or two, the Yanks may go hard after Webb.
For now, though, they’re simply practicing patience.
Webb hasn’t appeared in a big league game since the first week of the 2009 season because of chronic shoulder issues, but he registered a 3.30 ERA and 1.20 WHIP over 34 starts in 2008 and won the National League Cy Young Award back in 2006 with a 3.10 ERA, 1.13 WHIP and 178 strikeouts in 235 innings.
The Rangers, Cubs and Nationals have also been tracking the 31-year-old right-hander.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 4
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 12
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 23
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)