Dec 27, 2010, 12:44 PM EDT
I used to think that I had a baseball card problem. I was a mere piker compared to Amar Shah, however, who shares his tale of collecting T206 tobacco cards over at ESPN.com today:
A few weeks later came the T206 tipping point. Tejal was working all day and I had the entire day to myself. As soon as she was out the door, I was jonesing to buy something. In a mood of ’90s nostalgia, I asked Zack behind the counter at the card shop if he had a box of ’92-93 Upper Deck basketball. I’d spend the $40, go home and perhaps pull a Shaq rookie …
… An hour later, I awaited the total from Zack. $2,570 for 19 T206 cards, including 16 Hall of Famers such as Eddie Collins and John McGraw. The Upper Deck box was thrown in for free. Irrational exuberance blocked any sense of rationality as I handed him the credit card. I had just spent two months of rent on 100-year-old artifacts of men I’d never seen play, but the only remorse was thinking I should have bought the Ty Cobb, too. I left the store in a state of delirium. When I got home I planned a clever cover-up, cleaning the house and doing the dreaded dishes. I hid my new treasures in a “Star Wars” tin.
Shah is developing a documentary on the baseball card industry. Based on what he says in this article about his collecting habits and the reactions to it by his wife Tejal, I presume he is likewise on his way to a big honkin’ divorce. Not that their marriage hasn’t survived similar obsession on Amar’s part in the past (Warning: loud autoplay video there, so mute before clicking).
Note to Amar: if this is the Tejal Shah to whom you are married — and I think it is – you are making a grave, grave mistake by continually trying her patience my friend.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (213)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (124)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)