Dec 27, 2010, 8:40 PM EST
Brewers general manager Doug Melvin told Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel that the club has broken off talks with free agent left-hander Chris Capuano.
“Chris wants to be a starting pitcher and we don’t see a match at this time,” said Melvin. “We like Chris a lot but we both decided it was best he look elsewhere. I heard teams are showing interest.”
The Brewers have Zack Greinke, Yovani Gallardo, Shaun Marcum, Randy Wolf and Chris Narveson penciled in their rotation for 2011, so Capuano will have to look for an opportunity elsewhere if he wants to be a starting pitcher.
The 32-year-old left-hander made for a nice comeback story with the Brewers in 2010, working his way back from his second Tommy John surgery and two lost seasons to post a 3.95 ERA and 54/21 K/BB ratio over nine starts and 15 relief appearances. The former 18-game winner has never thrown particularly hard, but he displayed his best velocity (87.4 mph, according to FanGraphs) since his first year with the Brewers in 2004.
There are still plenty of teams out there looking for starting pitching, so assuming teams believe he is healthy, Capuano shouldn’t have a hard time finding work.
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 13
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 70
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (125)