Dec 27, 2010, 8:40 PM EST
Brewers general manager Doug Melvin told Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel that the club has broken off talks with free agent left-hander Chris Capuano.
“Chris wants to be a starting pitcher and we don’t see a match at this time,” said Melvin. “We like Chris a lot but we both decided it was best he look elsewhere. I heard teams are showing interest.”
The Brewers have Zack Greinke, Yovani Gallardo, Shaun Marcum, Randy Wolf and Chris Narveson penciled in their rotation for 2011, so Capuano will have to look for an opportunity elsewhere if he wants to be a starting pitcher.
The 32-year-old left-hander made for a nice comeback story with the Brewers in 2010, working his way back from his second Tommy John surgery and two lost seasons to post a 3.95 ERA and 54/21 K/BB ratio over nine starts and 15 relief appearances. The former 18-game winner has never thrown particularly hard, but he displayed his best velocity (87.4 mph, according to FanGraphs) since his first year with the Brewers in 2004.
There are still plenty of teams out there looking for starting pitching, so assuming teams believe he is healthy, Capuano shouldn’t have a hard time finding work.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 46
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 169
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (169)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (77)