Dec 27, 2010, 8:40 PM EDT
Brewers general manager Doug Melvin told Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel that the club has broken off talks with free agent left-hander Chris Capuano.
“Chris wants to be a starting pitcher and we don’t see a match at this time,” said Melvin. “We like Chris a lot but we both decided it was best he look elsewhere. I heard teams are showing interest.”
The Brewers have Zack Greinke, Yovani Gallardo, Shaun Marcum, Randy Wolf and Chris Narveson penciled in their rotation for 2011, so Capuano will have to look for an opportunity elsewhere if he wants to be a starting pitcher.
The 32-year-old left-hander made for a nice comeback story with the Brewers in 2010, working his way back from his second Tommy John surgery and two lost seasons to post a 3.95 ERA and 54/21 K/BB ratio over nine starts and 15 relief appearances. The former 18-game winner has never thrown particularly hard, but he displayed his best velocity (87.4 mph, according to FanGraphs) since his first year with the Brewers in 2004.
There are still plenty of teams out there looking for starting pitching, so assuming teams believe he is healthy, Capuano shouldn’t have a hard time finding work.
- Playoff Reset: Both AL Division Series Get Underway 17
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 17
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 52
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (82)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)