Dec 27, 2010, 1:44 PM EST
The Boston Globe’s Kevin Cullen relished spending Christmas in New Jersey because he could use the time to taunt his Yankees-fan relatives:
As the snow and the wind got worse, all the people from North Jersey who were supposed to come for dinner wimped out. They called to cancel. Of course, they cited the weather. We knew better. They weren’t about to drive a couple of hours down the Jersey Turnpike in whiteout conditions to listen to some jerk from Boston talk about how great the Red Sox were going to be, how great the Patriots are, how there is no other city in America that could run the table in 2011: football, basketball, hockey, baseball. We could win ’em all. No other city can even come close to saying that.
I sometimes chafe at the unrelenting passive-aggressive tendencies of Midwesterners. I long for people in my neck of the woods to be a little more open with their feelings and let things out rather than have everyone smiling politely at everyone else while they secretly seethe. But then I realize, hey, at least there’s a passive component of passive-aggressiveness. And no one ruins Christmas dinner with this kind of silliness.
Anyway, between the offseason the Red Sox are having and the offseason the Phillies are having, this is shaping up to be one of the loudest and most boastful springs in living memory.
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 9
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 44
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 21
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 56
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 106
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (111)