Dec 28, 2010, 9:30 AM EDT
Cardinals’ GM John Mozeliak thinks that team defense will be better in 2011:
“I’m of the belief that the defense question is being overstated. Overall, the idea that we’ve lessened our club that much defensively I guess I understand from the comment that we traded Brendan. But I don’t see the big change. I think this is going to be a good defensive club, if not better.”
OK. In addition to getting read of Brendan Ryan, who was probably the best shortstop in baseball last season, Mozeliak has given eight million bucks to Lance Berkman to be his starting right fielder. The same Lance Berkman who hasn’t played much if any outfield for four or five years and wasn’t particularly good at it back when he did.
Hey, I have no problem with a team deciding that it needs to sacrifice some defense in order to upgrade the bats, but man, just don’t go pretending that your team D is going to improve when you do it.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)