Dec 28, 2010, 8:30 AM EDT
Bill Madden has a great piece up over at the Daily News today. Inspired by the bowl game that will be played in Yankee Stadium on Thursday, Madden reminds us of George Steinbrenner’s many ties — and undeniable love — for college football. It’s a good history lesson.
Also, if you’re at all familiar with the fanatical and nutsy rah-rah world of big time college football — as those of us who live in places like Columbus, Ohio are — it goes a long ways toward explaining Steinbrenner’s behavior as a baseball owner. Really, is there anything he did while he ran the Yankees that was all that different than what any of your more unhinged athletic directors or boosters do at Big Football State University?
Finally, it’s a great excuse to use this pic of 1970s George Steinbrenner. So there’s that.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 18
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)