Dec 28, 2010, 12:19 PM EDT
Last week Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com reported that at least five teams were pursuing Jeff Francis, but the Canadian left-hander talked to the Vancouver Province and downplayed the amount of interest he’s received as a free agent.
It’s exciting for people to read because they think there’s lots of things happening, but it’s not as fast-paced as it’s all made out to be. Teams are interested, but that’s about it at this point.
Francis finished a four-year, $13.25 million contract and the Rockies declined their $7.5 million option on him for 2011 after he went 4-6 with a 5.00 ERA in 104 innings coming back from shoulder surgery.
He’ll likely have to accept an incentive-laden one-year deal at this point, as Francis hasn’t been healthy and effective since winning 17 regular season games and two more in the playoffs during the Rockies’ run to the World Series in 2007.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 54
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 65
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)