Mark Teixeira believes Andy Pettitte is leaning towards retirement

Dec 28, 2010, 6:17 PM EDT

Pettitte looks in

Mark Teixeira told Ian Begley of ESPN New York today that through text messages with Andy Pettitte, he feels the veteran left-hander is leaning towards retirement.

“I think, like everyone else [thinks], if he’s leaning one way, he’s probably leaning towards retiring,” Teixeira said on Tuesday at a press conference to kick off Thursday’s Pinstripe Bowl game at Yankee Stadium. “I think that’s what he’s publicly said. It’s no secret right now. That’s probably where he’s leaning. But in a month and a half, a lot can happen.”

I haven’t talked to Andy Pettitte in well, ever, actually, and I can also tell you that he is leaning towards retirement. Why? Because Pettitte said so himself in November and Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said almost exactly the same thing as Teixeira just one week ago.

I’m already seeing this story all over the place, but much like those who are snowed in their homes in the northeast part of the country, we’re still in the same place we were yesterday.

1. Glenn - Dec 28, 2010 at 7:49 PM

He was too good last year not to come back – plus the Yankees need him. I would be shocked if he didn’t return.

2. uyf1950 - Dec 28, 2010 at 8:58 PM

Call it wishful thinking but I honestly believe the Andy will come back for one more year. I agree with Glenn above. Andy had to good of a year last year and the Yankees do need him in 2011. I think he will announce his return by Jan. 15th.

3. Ari Collins - Dec 28, 2010 at 9:48 PM

The issue isn’t the Yankees’ need for him or how good he was last year. Those are issues as to how hard to go after him in FA or how much to pay him. But it’s clearly not (just) about the money for Andy next year. It’s a personal decision, entirely aside from what the fans or team wants, and it *appears* as if he’s leaning towards retirement.

Not saying I’d be totally shocked if sometime in the next coupla weeks he announces that he’s going to return, and starts training for a late start to the season, Clemens-style. Not totally shocked, no. But still surprised.

4. mtner77 - Dec 29, 2010 at 3:54 AM

….”I’m already seeing this story all over the place, but much like those who are snowed in their homes in the northeast part of the country”….

Umm. Poor guy. Ever think that some of us out west are “snowed in” from the beginning of November untill the first of March? I laugh everytime I see how a little snow back east is “Big News” (even on the sports networks) but four monthes of “snowed in” out west doesn’t even rate a blog post.

Laughable.

• The Rabbit - Dec 29, 2010 at 12:00 PM

Those of us who have lived in New England’s snow belt and have been buried in snow from the end of October until mid-April (We had snow in early May, too.) didn’t rate a blog post, either. The difference is that everyone was prepared and the local roads were generally passable within hours of the snowfall.
      The major cities along the eastern seaboard rarely get sizeable snow; therefore, there is very little money in city budgets allocated for snow removal.
      In addition, many who live in the big cities don’t own cars. Both city dwellers and suburban commuters rely on public transportation, i.e., buses, trolleys, and commuter rail. Given the millions of people in a relatively small area, if the buses can’t navigate the streets and the rail lines are frozen, everything comes to halt. Been there…. done that…. in Philly and NYC.

As for Pettite, I agree with the others. You don’t know the family dynamics or health issues that influence these kinds of decisions, but I wouldn’t be shocked if he decides to return for another season.

5. proudlycanadian - Dec 29, 2010 at 6:00 AM

I turned 65 yesterday and like Tex, I am leaning towards retirement. I still plan to hunt for Beavers in the wild north.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3431)