This is how silly rumors get started

Dec 28, 2010, 10:40 AM EDT

blanton

The sole line about Joe Blanton in this morning’s story about the Yankees’ rotation by Pete Caldera of the Record:

“The Phillies’ Joe Blanton is said to be available as a possible trade target”

The headline to same story:

“Yanks interested in Blanton, Garcia”

There isn’t a single quote or even an allusion to the Yankees expressing any interest in Joe Blanton whatsoever in the story.  Despite this, ESPN’s trade rumor blog has already picked it up as “Yankees interested in Blanton?”  And I imagine that it will show up in a couple other places by the end of the day today.  Heck, the fact that I’m even mentioning it will probably cause “the rumor to gain steam.”

I’ve said a million times that I love the rumors and the gossip and the silliness, but this is taking things a bit too far.

1. uyf1950 - Dec 28, 2010 at 11:32 AM

Well unfortunately until the Yankees either sign a starting pitcher or Andy Pettitte comes back the Yankees will be linked to every conceivable pitcher out there. Stories about the Yankees whether fact or fiction attract readers and isn’t attracting readers in some part what this is all about what all.

2. proudlycanadian - Dec 28, 2010 at 11:37 AM

I get the impression that The Record is prone to erroneous speculation.

• yankeesfanlen - Dec 28, 2010 at 11:58 AM

The Record is prone most expecially by sloppy headline writing. And this is in all sections of the paper and can be particularly hilarious or incendiary, depending on your point of view. The same intern must have learned “keywords” somewhere in their “Introduction to Journalism” class and applied it uniformly to all circumstances.

3. pisano - Dec 28, 2010 at 12:21 PM

To uyf1950, I just saw a headline on the YES network about getting Soriano and keeping a draft pick. Like you said most of the headlines are BS, but I don’t expect it from the Yes net. It’s like they’re trying to lead you to believe the Yankees are going after Soriano. I would love for them to get him, but the money is in the way, as he is looking for a top closers deal, which he’s worth, but the Yankees don’t want to give him. Hopefully both sides will realize that Mo won’t be around forever and at his age he could break at anytime and sign Soriano as insurance and the next closer. I know this is wishful thinking, but it is food for thought.

• uyf1950 - Dec 28, 2010 at 12:42 PM

I haven’t seen the piece you are talking about yet. But I would like to see them sign Soriano to 3 years say $10M per. I did a quick calculation on the Yankees 2011 opening day payroll factoring in arbitration money for players like Hughes and Joba, etc.. and not including Pettitte in the number and I come out with $180M +/-. So there is money there for both Soriano and Pettitte(if he does come back). I figure the 2 of them would cost about $25M per. That still is pretty much exactly where there 2010 opening day payroll was.

• uyf1950 - Dec 28, 2010 at 1:04 PM

To Pisano – One additional comment then come 2012 the Yankees would have approximately $30M come off the books. That assumes Pettitte comes back for the 2011 season at $12 to 15M, Posada salary of $13M and Marte’s club option of $4M doesn’t get picked up. That gives them more then enough money for potential pitching free agents in 2012 such as Carpenter or Oswalt depending on their options and if they are picked up.

4. Old Gator - Dec 28, 2010 at 1:02 PM

I hear that the Phillies looked at their year-end investment portfolio results and are now thinking of trading Blanton for Cliff Lee.

5. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Dec 28, 2010 at 1:28 PM

It’s a quiet time in the offseason at the moment; I expect ambiguous garbage like this.

6. disulfide - Dec 28, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Can we get an article about what Joe had for his Christmas dinner please?

• Rosenthals Speling Instrukter - Dec 28, 2010 at 2:39 PM

Three of Santa’s reindeer.

7. smokehouse56 - Dec 28, 2010 at 7:32 PM

Whoever decides they want Joe Blanton will make a very good deal. If you think Blanton is a sub-par pitcher you need to be informed. Only 30 years old, Blanton is 25-14 in three years at Philly. He will give any team 30 starts and 12-15 wins per year. He is 2-0 in the post season including a world series win. I wish the hell the Phils will keep him but understand their need to cut pay roll in order to get Lee.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto