Dec 29, 2010, 4:22 PM EST
Over at MLB.com Marty Noble writes the obligatory “remembering the baseball people who died in the past year” column.
I sort of hate to see this column every year, but I’m glad we have it too. We need it. We remember guys like George Steinbrenner and Ernie Harwell because they were giants, but we so easily forget people like Ralph Houk. Jose Lima. Mike Cuellar. Many, many others. It’s a long list. As Marty says, too long, but that’s just kind of how death works for better or for worse.
And no, it doesn’t make it any easier to sing the list along with that Jim Carroll song. I tried. Still kind of sad.
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 0
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 3
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 23
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 33
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 86
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)