Comment of the Day: No one’s buyin’ what Palmeiro’s sellin’

Dec 29, 2010, 5:02 PM EDT

Palmeiro Orioles

Attention Rafael Palmerio: I think everyone is entitled to the benefit of the doubt in this world, but I don’t think my readers are ready to hop on the “I never took PEDs” bus you’re driving.  Here’s commenter disulfide, knocking it out of the park in the first comment:

“I believe Raffy….but then I also live on the moon with Amelia Earhart and can turn anything I want into strawberry jello.”

It’s funny because it’s true!

Really, though: there probably isn’t a safer haven for steroids people on the Internet than HardballTalk. I’ve worked hard at apologizing for you all and whitewashing this stuff for the past few years in order to create such an environment because I’m just unhinged like that.  So if you’re losing this room, brother, there’s no room in which your band can play.

1. Richard In Big D - Dec 29, 2010 at 5:37 PM

I hate auto update. It just robbed your readers of a great Raffy story that I was in the middle of typing. BTW, I believe him.

2. Chipmaker - Dec 29, 2010 at 6:10 PM

If Palmeiro had been interested in clearing his name, he should have offered up his services for the major league minimum in 2006, begged a job somewhere, shown what he could do a year older and unquestionably clean (take a weekly test at his own expense, maybe). Instead he took his exile. That certainly doesn’t help his denials today.

3. hardjudge - Dec 29, 2010 at 6:41 PM

Let he who is without sin among you cast the first stone, the rest of you just keep you mouths shut.

• stankfinger - Dec 29, 2010 at 7:04 PM

I’ve never taken steroids, so I’m freely bashing the ‘roiders. Problem with that Mr. 700 Club?

• Old Gator - Dec 29, 2010 at 7:15 PM

Are there any…women…here?

4. Reflex - Dec 29, 2010 at 7:31 PM

In my opinion, he should have sued Canseco for the claim in his book. The burden would have been on Canseco to prove it, given the accusation was not couched in any uncertain terms(Canseco claimed to directly inject him). He also should have sued Tejada for the tainted vitamins.

Seriously, if he is innocent, Canseco slandered him publicly, and Tejada cost him his chance at the Hall of Fame. Lawsuits would be perfectly justifiable from my POV.

Unless, of course, he did those drugs and he is afraid of what will come out of the woodwork once he opens that door….

• stankfinger - Dec 29, 2010 at 7:34 PM

Those are good points.

• missthemexpos - Dec 29, 2010 at 8:02 PM

I wonder why Barry Bonds never sued for all the claims about his steroid use in the book “Game of Shadows” ?

• Reflex - Dec 29, 2010 at 8:09 PM

I don’t know. My point was that Canseco did not ‘imply’ Rafael used steroids. He stated it flat out and stated that he physically helped him inject him. There is nothing ambiguous about those statements. They are either true or false, and the person making the claim has the burden of proving it. That would be actionable if Rafael chose to defend himself. But he didn’t, and that is why he is seen as guilty. If he’d gone after Canseco(who no one likes anyways) directly, if he’d sued Tejada for handing him a tainted syringe, I think we would at least have a shadow of a doubt.

• Old Gator - Dec 29, 2010 at 9:16 PM

Meanwhile, friendless, luckless, nearly broke and, from all appearances, witless, Canseco continues to document his mental and emotional meltdown from his laptop somewhere in the Land of Green Ginger. You would think that the legions of the sanctimonious would have rallied to his support in his time of need – you know, the way they rallied to the support of Linda Tripp.

5. Panda Claus - Dec 29, 2010 at 9:25 PM

Hall of Famer, plain and simple to me. Don’t know if he did any PEDs or not, but he was a fantastic player. I think he’ll eventually get in, but not for a while.

Face it, some of the suspected performance enhancer suspects will get into the Hall. Some will be kept waiting so voters can make their points, but you can’t keep out an entire era of great players.

6. hardjudge - Dec 30, 2010 at 3:10 AM

They should make the list public so all the bashers will know who they think they should bash. Oh yeah, I do occasionally watch the 700 Club, thanks for the compliment. Stankfinger, steriods is not the only sin. From your username I can just imagine what yours are, but I won’t, because another verse says “judge not that you be not judged”.

Harper vs. Trout? It's just the opening act