Dec 29, 2010, 10:15 AM EDT
It won’t be official until he takes a physical exam next week, but yesterday the Blue Jays signed Octavio Dotel to a one-year, $3.5 million contract with a $3.5 million option or $750,000 buyout for 2012.
Dotel could have signed with any number of teams as a setup man, but according to his agent in addition to matching Dotel’s salary from 2010 the Blue Jays also promised him a chance to be their closer.
“Octavio is excited about playing for a team that will give you the opportunity to close games in the strongest division in baseball,” Dominic Torres told Enrique Rojas of ESPNDeportes.com.
Kevin Gregg served as the Blue Jays’ closer last season, saving 37 games with a 3.51 ERA, but he’s expected to sign a multi-year deal with the Orioles. Dotel certainly picked the right spot if he wants to close again and he still has dominant raw stuff at age 37, averaging double-digit strikeouts per nine innings for the fourth straight season, but he’s also served up 32 homers in 224 innings during that time and his struggles to keep the ball in the ballpark could make for some messy ninth innings against the powerful AL East lineups.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 10
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 46
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 25
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)