Dec 29, 2010, 10:15 AM EDT
It won’t be official until he takes a physical exam next week, but yesterday the Blue Jays signed Octavio Dotel to a one-year, $3.5 million contract with a $3.5 million option or $750,000 buyout for 2012.
Dotel could have signed with any number of teams as a setup man, but according to his agent in addition to matching Dotel’s salary from 2010 the Blue Jays also promised him a chance to be their closer.
“Octavio is excited about playing for a team that will give you the opportunity to close games in the strongest division in baseball,” Dominic Torres told Enrique Rojas of ESPNDeportes.com.
Kevin Gregg served as the Blue Jays’ closer last season, saving 37 games with a 3.51 ERA, but he’s expected to sign a multi-year deal with the Orioles. Dotel certainly picked the right spot if he wants to close again and he still has dominant raw stuff at age 37, averaging double-digit strikeouts per nine innings for the fourth straight season, but he’s also served up 32 homers in 224 innings during that time and his struggles to keep the ball in the ballpark could make for some messy ninth innings against the powerful AL East lineups.
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 38
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 26
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 25
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 131
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 76
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (198)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (131)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)