Oney Guillen: “Maybe I should have stepped away from the laptop”

Dec 29, 2010, 5:29 PM EDT

Ozzie Guillen family

Oney Guillen went on a Chicago talk radio station today to defend his crazy-tweeting at Bobby Jenks.  Give a listen.

The only thing he said that made me think he even begins to understand that he was out of line was when he said “maybe I should have stepped away from the laptop.”  Other than that, though, the dude is still oblivious. He doesn’t get that he undermined the old man. He doesn’t get that now every White Sox player has to worry that Ozzie Guillen is sharing private clubhouse stuff with his family, who will then publicize it everywhere. He doesn’t get that he countered Bobby Jenks‘ minor swipe with a 10,000 megaton explosive.

Normally I’m pretty turned off by talk radio hosts who grill and lecture guests, but I found it to be quite appropriate in this instance.

1. thesnoozebar - Dec 29, 2010 at 5:35 PM

Ozzie Guillen isn’t running home and telling his sons all of his players’ secrets. Until last year Oney Guillen worked with the White Sox and was in that clubhouse all the time. Hell, he was in the clubhouse and traveling with the team long before he even took the job with the team.

Ozzie didn’t tell him anything. He saw it all himself.

• Utley's Hair - Dec 29, 2010 at 6:00 PM

That still doesn’t give him the right to air Jenks’ personal dirty laundry.

• The Common Man/www.platoonadvantage.com - Dec 29, 2010 at 6:11 PM

Unless Oney was in the manager’s office, or Jenks was crying loudly enough that it was heard throughout the clubhouse, it’s completely reasonable to assume that Oney heard about it because his father told him. Which is potentially a big problem in the White Sox clubhouse, since no player will be able to trust that what they say will not end up making its way back to Oney.

This is a PR disaster, and a potential problem for the Sox as they court players. Having worked in a baseball clubhouse, as Oney did, I say with complete confidence that Oney violated the most sacrosanct rule of the clubhouse. What happens there, stays there.

• The Common Man/www.platoonadvantage.com - Dec 29, 2010 at 6:12 PM

Oney Guillen is about as stupid, narcissistic, clueless, delusional, & vapid as they come.

• Old Gator - Dec 29, 2010 at 7:09 PM

Which is to say that the mamey doesn’t fall very far from the tree. For personal and selfish reasons of my own, though, I do hope that the imbecile spawn’s escapades don’t keep Reinsdorf from signing Ozzie to a very long, long term extended contract.

• ta192 - Dec 29, 2010 at 9:12 PM

Gee, Gator, don’t you want Ozzie down here in the Habana suburbs, holding court with the local sports writers…

2. ndnut - Dec 30, 2010 at 1:12 AM

Being a twins fan and knowing all too well about Ozzie, I can’t say I’m overly shocked by what happened. As they say, the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey