Dec 29, 2010, 9:16 AM EDT
We’ve been following Joe Posnanski’s week of Hall of Fame columns so far, so there’s no sense in stopping now. Today he discusses the Hall of Very Good players on the ballot. After his nice appreciations of Harold Baines and Don Mattingly — each of whom really should be appreciated, because they were darn good ballplayers — he gets to Jack Morris. Music to my ears:
The cases made for Morris have been, in my opinion, not particularly convincing or even intellectually honest … I guess my point here is to ask those people who think Jack Morris belongs in the Hall of Fame to PLEASE make more appealing arguments.
Which is what I was getting at in yesterday’s post. You don’t have to drop your support for Jack Morris just because some statty people have poked holes in his Hall of Fame resume. But you do need to find a case that actually has a fact or two on its side rather than repeating the baloney that has been completely discredited.
Posnanski even takes a stab at a case for Morris, centered on the facts that he was durable and very good for a long time, even if he was never great. That’s something. It’s something that, historically, Morris supporters have dismissed when such a case was offered for other players such as Blyleven or Dwight Evans or Lou Whitaker, but there’s no rule that says they can’t change their mind on that stuff now.
But the Morris stuff isn’t even the best part of the column. That goes to Posnanski’s take on Lee Smith that, for reasons you should read yourself, make a damn apt comparison between Smith and former Chargers receiver Charlie Joiner of all people. It’s the kind of three-dimensional thinking and analysis that separates Posnanski from mere mortals. Great stuff.
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 60
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 35
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 38
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 9
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The Royals asked a fan in Marlins gear to change his shirt last night. He refused. (86)