Rafael Palmeiro insists he never took PEDs

Dec 29, 2010, 3:03 PM EDT

Rafael Palmeiro

Mel Antonen conducted a long interview of Rafael Palmeiro over at SI.com.  Palmeiro says that he didn’t take steroids, that his positive test from 2005 was a mix-up and that getting elected to the Hall of Fame “would mean more than anything” to him.

No one is going to believe him of course, and it’s not going to change his Hall of Fame chances one iota.  He has no shot of getting in. Not if he “comes clean,” not if he does anything. I’ve been shouting from the rooftops about making sure we understand our uncertainty when it comes to PEDs and not just assume someone did or didn’t do drugs based on their forearms or what have you. But at some point there’s enough out there to make even guys like me shake our heads and say “sorry, dude, but the benefit of the doubt is over.”  Unless someone can establish that the testing in place is entrapping guys, that line is when the player tests positive.

But like I’ve also said on a number of occasions, positive tests aren’t automatic disqualifications for me. They’re just part of the mix. I’d discount the accomplishments of a known user and do my best to figure out if PEDs made the difference between a guy being Hall-worthy or not.  In Plameiro’s case, I think it’s quite possible they were the difference.  And even if that’s a close call, his time as a DH and the ballparks he called home and the very offensive era in which he played have to dial his case down a bit too. Five-hundred homers and 3000 hits is awesome, but with all of Palmeiro’s discounts I’d have a hard time voting for the guy.

I feel bad for him because it sounds like his past five years have been a drag, but if I’m going to the Hall of Fame mat for anyone, it’s not going to be Rafael Palmerio.

1. disulfide - Dec 29, 2010 at 4:05 PM

I believe Raffy….but then I also live on the moon with Amelia Earhart and can turn anything I want into strawberry jello.

2. largebill - Dec 29, 2010 at 4:15 PM

I’ve supported Palmiero mainly because of his consistency and high quality. We are not talking a guy who hit .275 with no power but hung around long enough to stumble over the 3,000 hit line. He is 6th all time in extra base hits! 13th in homers. He always had that pretty, seemingly effortless swing. People laugh about the Gold Glove he didn’t deserve because he mostly DH’d that year. However, he was an exceptional defensive first baseman before getting moved to DH. I didn’t think he’d get elected any time soon, but watching the early ballots I’m thinking he won’t even get a second look.

As I said in the Bagwell comments I’m not sure enough to condemn some of these guys and dismiss all their accomplishments as fake. With Tejada’s subsequent problems I’m not convinced that he didn’t mislead Palmiero on the “vitamin shot.”

3. pisano - Dec 29, 2010 at 4:26 PM

That’s as believable as Manny Ramirez being a rocket scientist.

4. stankfinger - Dec 29, 2010 at 4:53 PM

Cheater cheater cheater.

5. florida727 - Dec 30, 2010 at 9:22 AM

I don’t know if he cheated or not. Neither do you. Unless there’s a huge disparity in stats from one time segment to another, you’d almost be forced to discount the effects of PEDs if, again IF, it could be PROVEN he took them. Without such proof, his numbers make him an automatic qualifier IMO.

6. kaientai72 - Dec 31, 2010 at 12:04 AM

Sadly….not a chance. The image chosen for this piece of Palmeiro waving his finger at congress, is what he will always be known for. Not for the 500 Home Runs, not for the 3,000 hits, not for his sweet swing. Just that pointing finger. http://www.notinhalloffame.com has Palmeiro at #19 on their baseball list, but chances are he will be on that list for a long time. There is a very good chance he won’t crack 20 percent,

A's, Tigers big winners at trade deadline