Dec 29, 2010, 2:24 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal reports that the Angels are now the front-runners for Adrian Beltre‘s services because (a) the Athletics have dropped out; and (b) the Rangers don’t feel comfortable making the commitment in dollars and years that Beltre seems to want.
The A’s have been jerked around by Beltre for a long time, it seems. They had an offer out there. He showed no interest in it. You can’t blame them for saying goodbye to the whole situations. Likewise, Nolan Ryan seemed to make it pretty clear yesterday that he’s not comfortable going more then three years for a player no matter who he is. Rosenthal says that Boras is looking for at least five years for Beltre. So it would seem that the Angels are the only team in play for Beltre.
That is, unless a mystery team is suddenly reported to be interested. But that never, ever happens with Scott Boras clients, does it?
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 9
- Report: Cubs calling up prospect infielder Addison Russell 13
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 8
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 56
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 41
- Five Royals ejected in Sunday’s series finale against the Athletics 88
- White Sox will promote Carlos Rodon on Monday 14
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (129)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (111)