Dec 29, 2010, 5:34 AM EDT
Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun first reported this back on the 21st, but Ken Rosenthal said again last night that the Orioles are continuing to target Derrek Lee. They’re apparently not high on the idea of getting a DH and moving Luke Scott to first base, and with the rumored Adam LaRoche offer seemingly going nowhere, Lee is the best bet.
Rosenthal says, however, that Lee would prefer to be on the west coast with a contender. Which is strange considering he turned down an $8 million offer from the Padres before they signed Brad Hawpe. Last I checked the Padres were closer to contention than any of the teams still in the market for a first baseman, and $8 million ain’t hay.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 37
- Andrew McCutchen departs game versus Cardinals after aggravating injured left rib cage 3
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 12
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 14
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 60
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Report: Cubs calling up top prospect outfielder Jorge Soler 40
- Shin-Soo Choo to undergo season-ending bone spur surgery on elbow 13
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (142)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (89)