Yankees’ team president on Pettitte: “I think he knows we need him”

Dec 29, 2010, 8:25 AM EDT

Andy Pettitte

Yankees president Randy Levine had this to say about Andy Pettitte yesterday:

“Every day I hope Andy comes back.  Andy’s a great Yankee and a great person and I know he’ll give it thought and follow his heart and we’ll respect his decision. But we’re out there, all of us, hoping every day that he comes back. “I think he knows we need him. I think he knows how much we respect him and what a great leader he is.”

I know it’s easy to read too much into a few words tossed off to reporters, but that’s a bit different than the “Andy will do what he does and we’ll do what we do” sort of thing we’ve been hearing from Brian Cashman.  I don’t think Pettitte would be a panacea at this point — the odds of him giving the team 30+ starts aren’t high even if he does come back — but I think Levine’s statement does suggest that the Yankees are well-aware that there aren’t any better options out there.

1. yankeesfanlen - Dec 29, 2010 at 8:30 AM

C’mon back Mr. Fiddly-Fart, you know we love 4 hour games while you hold guys on first for 20 minutes. And, we’ll let Jorge catch! Yeah, the gang’s all still here and we’ll party like it’s 1999!

2. sdelmonte - Dec 29, 2010 at 8:46 AM

And once again, the Yankees seem to be determined to negotiate in public. Didn’t they learn anything from the Jeter talks?

• Kevin S. - Dec 29, 2010 at 9:06 AM

This is hardly negotiating in public. It’s more like… begging in public.

3. uyf1950 - Dec 29, 2010 at 8:58 AM

I think most Yankee fan would echo Randy Levine’s comments (myself included). In fact all of this recent talk about Andy Pettitte has made me think of a classic line from a1982 SciFi movie. E.T. come home, except in this case it’s A.P. come home. Yankee Stadium is his home, come home A.P.

4. Jason @ IIATMS - Dec 29, 2010 at 11:19 AM

Where have you gone, Kevin Brown?

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5242)