Dec 29, 2010, 8:25 AM EDT
Yankees president Randy Levine had this to say about Andy Pettitte yesterday:
“Every day I hope Andy comes back. Andy’s a great Yankee and a great person and I know he’ll give it thought and follow his heart and we’ll respect his decision. But we’re out there, all of us, hoping every day that he comes back. ”I think he knows we need him. I think he knows how much we respect him and what a great leader he is.”
I know it’s easy to read too much into a few words tossed off to reporters, but that’s a bit different than the “Andy will do what he does and we’ll do what we do” sort of thing we’ve been hearing from Brian Cashman. I don’t think Pettitte would be a panacea at this point — the odds of him giving the team 30+ starts aren’t high even if he does come back — but I think Levine’s statement does suggest that the Yankees are well-aware that there aren’t any better options out there.
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 32
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 40
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 50
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 84
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL