Dec 30, 2010, 1:30 PM EST
Since 1998, ESPN The Magazine has named someone their “NEXT” athlete. It’s the person who, according to ESPN, “is a future leader or trailblazer in their sport.” They just named Buster Posey their NEXT athlete for 2011. Buster Olney has a nice writeup of Posey here.
I think Posey has as bright a future in baseball as anyone. But for his sake, I hope that ESPN has changed its criteria for choosing its Nexteroo. The last two baseball players chosen: Joba Chamberlain and Kaz Matsui.
Yeah, well, the title isn’t the NEXT good athlete. Just NEXT.
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 19
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 62
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)