Buster Posey is ESPN’s “Next” athlete. Uh-oh.

Dec 30, 2010, 1:30 PM EST

San Francisco Giants v Texas Rangers, Game 4 Getty Images

Since 1998, ESPN The Magazine has named someone their “NEXT” athlete.  It’s the person who, according to ESPN, “is a future leader or trailblazer in their sport.”  They just named Buster Posey their NEXT athlete for 2011.  Buster Olney has a nice writeup of Posey here.

I think Posey has as bright a future in baseball as anyone.  But for his sake, I hope that ESPN has changed its criteria for choosing its Nexteroo.  The last two baseball players chosen:  Joba Chamberlain and Kaz Matsui.

Yeah, well, the title isn’t the NEXT good athlete. Just NEXT.

1. Dan in Katonah - Dec 30, 2010 at 1:42 PM

That’s worse than the Madden curse.

2. yankeesfanlen - Dec 30, 2010 at 1:50 PM

Any rag that has ever named THE FAT TOAD as anything is not worth the price of admission. I was nicknamed “Buster” as a baby and it took me years (if ever) to live it down, and here this 15 year old wants it as a permanent moniker. Don’t see me calling any of the Universe that. That quack on the O’s ought to check this guy’s birth certificate.

• Dan in Katonah - Dec 30, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Hey, Buster:

Kaz Matsui = failed middle infielder for the Mets, etc.
      Hideki Irabu = Fat Toad

• Old Gator - Dec 30, 2010 at 2:05 PM

Buster! Buster! Buster! Nyaaaahhhh nyaaaahhhh!

• Utley's Hair - Dec 30, 2010 at 2:22 PM

And you choose to reveal that little tidbit HERE?!? Have you been hitting the New Year’s sauce already?

3. bcopus - Dec 30, 2010 at 1:52 PM

2005 – Carlos Beltran
    2006 – Apparently nobody
    2007 – Jose Reyes
    2008 – Joba Chamberlain
    2009 – Matt Wieters
    2010- Buster Posey

Pretty hit and miss I’d say.

• jkcalhoun - Dec 30, 2010 at 8:35 PM

Apparently Nobody has had admirable staying power. Didn’t he turn up again this year as one of the misfits who won the championship?

• Utley's Hair - Dec 30, 2010 at 8:59 PM

Apparently Nobody deserves to be in the Hall of Fame.

• jkcalhoun - Dec 30, 2010 at 9:55 PM

My take on Apparently Nobody’s Hall of Fame candidacy: while there’s no evidence that Apparently Nobody used performance-enhancing substances, there were whispers. Therefore with great grandstanding moralistic self-aggrandizement I aver that it’s our duty to withhold a vote for Apparently Nobody until adequate information is obtained.

Note: adequate information is extremely unlikely to become available. This gives me 15 years to be noticed during Hall of Fame voting season. Win: me.

• bcopus - Dec 31, 2010 at 12:27 PM

I have Apparently Nobody’s rookie card.

4. Utley's Hair - Dec 30, 2010 at 2:33 PM

And this would explain why the Dwarves will struggle to reach .500 and miss the playoffs, a la the predictions post (http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/30/its-never-too-early-to-predict-the-2011-standings/comment-page-1/).

• skerney - Dec 30, 2010 at 3:19 PM

• sayheykidwschamp - Dec 30, 2010 at 7:21 PM

Still bitter I see. And Hardballtalk has been so accurate in their predictions. But I guess you have to grasp at straws rather than face the reality that the Philies could not live up to their hype. Maybe adding Cliff Lee might help…maybe!

• citynative - Dec 30, 2010 at 8:21 PM

Philly fans . . . so emotional and bitter. Your mostly male crowd was whistling at our player . . . pathetic. R2C2, the so-called greatest rotation in history, was 2-5 in the play-offs vs. the Giants.

• Utley's Hair - Dec 30, 2010 at 9:11 PM

To citynative, skerney and sayhey,

All I was doing was referring to a post about a Yankers (apparently) site that said the Dwarves would perform as such on a post that refers to possible jinxes. I am most certainly not bitter. The Phightins lost. The Dwarves won. How and why are—as always—open to debate, but no matter how you look at it, the Phils bats were not meeting the Dwarves pitches effectively. But, that is over. My grieving is over. Your gloating is apparently not. But we’ll see who does better in 2011.

5. citynative - Dec 31, 2010 at 2:32 AM

So typical, the back-handed compliments:

1) Refer to the Giants as the Dwarves? Are we in 5th grade? That being said “Dopey” shoved it up the Phils ass.

2) Saying the Phightins lost. No. The Giants won.

3) “The Phils bats were not meeting the Dwarves pitches effectively.” Wrong again. Taking the credit away from the winning team…The Phils bats didn’t go dry like we heard out west…the Giants pitching was that good.

• Utley's Hair - Dec 31, 2010 at 12:21 PM

Whatever, man Sounds more like you’re a sore winner. My descriptions were about as objective as you can get for both sides.

If you read other posts I have made—of which there are far more than my boss and family would probably be happy with—I tend to refer to many teams with nicknames (Wankers, Yankers, Skankees, Mutts, Gnats, Walkers, etc., oh, and yeah, the Dwarves). It’s called smack or trash talk, and I’m not the only one on here that does it. If you don’t like it or can’t handle it, maybe you should just stop reading this blog—or ANY sports blog, for that matter. And Craig says Phightins Phans are sensitive

Also, if you read my comment, I did say that the Dwarves won.

And what happens when good hitters face good pitchers? Um…yeah…bats don’t meet pitches effectively…which, I believe, is what I said.

At no time was I insulting to the team or fans from Frisco—or am I not allowed to use that term either? Uh-oh…I guess I have to call it San Francisco. 100,000 mea culpas for that sleight. I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me at some point in the next millenium.

6. macjacmccoy - Dec 31, 2010 at 11:36 AM

I think its real dumb to name a catcher the future. Not that Posey doesnt have the talent because he clearly does its just the position. Only a few catchers in the last decade have been great hitters even few have that and stay healthy. Catcher is a really tough position to stay healthy at. There knees go quickly and you need your legs to hit.

I just wouldnt have the confidence that a catcher will be able to stay healthy while hitting at an incredible pace to call him the “Next” athlete.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5703)
  2. M. Kemp (3215)
  3. J. Kang (3071)
  4. C. McGehee (3038)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (3021)
  1. J. Upton (2952)