Harmon Killebrew has cancer

Dec 30, 2010, 10:14 AM EDT

Killebrew

This is awful news: Twins legend Harmon Killebrew announced today that he has esophageal cancer.  His statement:

I was recently diagnosed with esophageal cancer.   With my wife, Nita, by my side, I have begun preparing for what is perhaps the most difficult battle of my life.   I am being treated by a team of medical professionals at the Mayo Clinic.  While my condition is very serious, I have confidence in my doctors and the medical staff and I anticipate a full recovery.

The Mayo Clinic is one of the largest and most experienced medical centers treating esophageal cancer in the world.  In the past decade, they have made tremendous advances in the treatment of this disease.  Nita and I feel blessed to have access to the best doctors and medical care.
I thank everyone for their outpouring of prayers, compassion and concern.  Nita and I ask for privacy during this difficult journey.

Thoughts and prayers for a guy some call Killer, but whom everyone agrees is one of the nicest, most genuine men in baseball.

1. The Common Man/www.platoonadvantage.com - Dec 30, 2010 at 10:30 AM

Get well, Harm. You are the picture of class and dignity and I wish you and your family the best.

2. heiniemanush - Dec 30, 2010 at 10:59 AM

That is terribly sad news. One of the fondest memories of my youth goes back to old Comiskey where I was buried deep in a line of fans trying to get Harmon’s autograph before a White Sox-Twins match-up. Suddenly my father, a tall man, took my program leaned over the throng and got me the precious signature. I’ve still got the program. Since Harmon signed on the Twins side of the scorecard I could only keep score for the White Sox that day. Get well, Mr. Killebrew!

3. henryd3rd - Dec 30, 2010 at 11:41 AM

A class act and let’s hope he fully recovers. My prays go out to Mr. Killebrew and his family.

4. skerney - Dec 30, 2010 at 3:08 PM

Don’t use dip kids!

5. ddkendall - Dec 30, 2010 at 3:21 PM

What a class act this man is. I remember as a kid going with my uncle to Metropolitian stadium to watch Harmon Killebrew, Bob Allison, Zoilo Versalles, Earl Battey and if it was a day that Camillo Pasqual was pitching it was the perfect day. It seemed like almost everytime I got to see the Twins Harmon sent one deep. It was also a differeent era when your heros of the diamond could be approached before and after the game to get your program or hat autographed. Get well “Killer”.

Yanks, Cards and Reds hit with injury bug