Joe Posnanski brings the Hall of Fame noise

Dec 30, 2010, 9:32 AM EST

Posnanski

Installment four of Joe Posnanski’s week-long series on the Hall of Fame is a dream come true for me.  Why? Because I’ll freely admit that I can be a monomaniacal nutjob when it comes to this stuff, so when a sober and respectable guy like Poz hits these notes I’m given a touch of intellectual cover. Really, it’s all here:

• Heyman bashing: check!
  • Incomprehension at those who would vote for Morris but not Blyleven: check!
  • Blinding anger at those who would accuse someone of using steroids with no evidence whatsoever: check!
  • Micro-level hashing out of the ethics of steroid use: check!
  • Love for Tim Raines and Alan Trammell:  check!

It almost makes me feel like something less than a loon. At least for a few minutes. And the fact that he’s a bald guy like me makes it even sweeter.

I’ve been saying it all week, but Posnanski is a must-read on this stuff, and that goes doubly for today’s installment.

1. sdelmonte - Dec 30, 2010 at 9:52 AM

Well, what you are really saying is “JoPo called ME an e-migo! I am so cool.” At least that is how i would react.

It just occurred to me that since Blyleven and E-Mart are both controversial choices to some, if they both get it, E-Mart should give the speech for Blyleven or something, as befits a DH.

2. Kanonen80 - Dec 30, 2010 at 10:07 AM

I like your stalker photo of Joe. Does he know you have that?
    Kidding aside, I agree with both of you guys and I love Joe’s ballot.

• Alex K - Dec 30, 2010 at 10:32 AM

That picture is rather creepy.

3. heiniemanush - Dec 30, 2010 at 10:26 AM

I think there was some consensus Trammell was a great player in the ’80s but his star faded when the Detroit franchise fell into the baseball abyss. I do remember reading a Gammons story back in the ’90s in which he predicted both Trammell and Whitaker would go into the HOF on the first ballot, so at least one member of the “those who were there” contingent felt he was worthy stuff.

4. Dan in Katonah - Dec 30, 2010 at 10:42 AM

BALD MEN OF THE WORLD UNITE!!!

If Poz has a law degree, the three of us can build a clubhouse and think up a cool secret handshake…

5. 1historian - Dec 30, 2010 at 12:06 PM

In re steroids – I am not familiar with the particulars of each case of those accused, but if player A was accused and he said that he did NOT take steroids – why did he not offer – DEMAND – to take a test? Forget the union – I DID NOT TAKE STEROIDS and I DEMAND a test to prove that and then we can get past this.

I always felt that the fact that the players did not VOLUNTARILY submit to testing was damning.

Does that make me a terrible person, a yuckletron, a whatever? I can live with that.

As long as my dog still loves me.

• Charles Gates - Dec 30, 2010 at 12:33 PM

I accuse you of using heroin in 1997, devil worship in 2004 and rubbing yourself with albino goat dung through present day.

Please report back here with scanned pdf’s of your name clearing test results as soon as possible. Thanks.

• Dan in Katonah - Dec 30, 2010 at 1:51 PM

That is not the way we operate here in America and I am glad for it. There was no “accusation” against Bagwell for him to have gone off and gotten tested even if he desired to do so. After the fact it is a bit ridiculous to say these guys should have anticipated the allegations and preventitively tested. Besides, the union would never let them do it.

Also, your dog says “we need to talk… it’s not you, it’s me”

6. 1historian - Dec 30, 2010 at 12:23 PM

Poz’ obit on Bob Feller was great. As in GREAT WRITING.

7. Matt - Dec 30, 2010 at 12:30 PM

Under Pearlman’s reasoning that Craig quoted on Twitter…wouldn’t we also have to keep all owners (like Steinbrenner), all managers (like Cox/LaRussa/Torre, etc.), and all media (like Gammons/Harwell/Scully, etc.) out of all because they didn’t speak up when it was obvious that others were ‘roiding?

Also…didn’t Morris play with some of these ‘roiders? Why didn’t he speak up?

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. J. Kang (2830)
  2. W. Myers (2589)
  3. D. Ross (2301)
  4. C. McGehee (2217)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2023)
  1. J. Shields (1932)