Major League Baseball, Anheuser-Busch bury the hatchet

Dec 30, 2010, 4:02 PM EDT

Budweiser baseball

Remember how Anheuser-Bush sued Major League Baseball back in November.  Sadly the lawsuit has been settled:

Anheuser-Busch Inc. said Thursday that it reached a new sponsorship agreement with Major League Baseball and dropped the lawsuit it filed against the league in November.

The multi-year agreement designates Budweiser as the official beer sponsor of Major League Baseball.

The U.S. arm of Anheuser-Busch InBev NV, the world’s largest brewer, sued the league’s licensing arm in a New York federal court in November, claiming that it reneged on a multiyear renewal of the sponsorship rights and demanded “exponentially higher” fees.

An Anheuser spokesman declined to release financial details of the agreement. In its November lawsuit, the beer maker said it would be investing “tens of millions of dollars” in 2010 in advertising and promotions involving its Budweiser brand related to the MLB.

I suppose this is good news for baseball.  I added the “sadly” part, however, because for about ten minutes I had visions of the good people at the Rogue Brewring Company becoming the sole suppliers of tasty beverages at ballparks.  At least then I would have enjoyed handing over eight bucks for a cup of beer.

Oh well.

1. Jonny 5 - Dec 30, 2010 at 4:38 PM

Well, it would be more worth you money. That’s for sure. Is 2010 officially “last season” on sunday?

• sportsdrenched - Dec 30, 2010 at 5:42 PM

or is 2011 “this” season yet?

• Richard In Big D - Dec 30, 2010 at 5:50 PM

It will be Saturday, when the first free agent signing of the year is announced…

• Utley's Hair - Dec 30, 2010 at 6:28 PM

The Yuengling Thirst Inning

2. sdelmonte - Dec 30, 2010 at 4:39 PM

I miss the days of local breweries sponsoring teams. Or at least Schaefer or Rheingold sponsoring the Mets. I am too young, alas, to remember Ballantine sponsoring the Yankees, but I have heard plenty of clips of Mel Allen shouting about “Ballantine blasts”.

3. spudchukar - Dec 30, 2010 at 5:03 PM

It is nice to see a little Northwest Beer appreciation. As the beverage critic, Michael Jackson once proclaimed in an Atlantic Monthly article, “You guys are light-years ahead of the rest of the country, when it comes to brewing.” Out here in the hinterland we do know our beer and I am a St. Louis transplant. Now that Belgium owns the Busch products it is rewarding to see a little recognition. Yes, it is nostalgic to recall the days of Ballantine, Stag, Carling, Schaefer, Falstaff, Schlitz, and Rheingold, but the truth is they all suck, which is why a company like Anheuser-Busch could garner 52% of the market. Thanks, Craig, but if you like the Rogue products you should try a sip of the Portland Brewing Co., or especially my favorite, the employee-owned, almost all-female run, Full Sail.

• Richard In Big D - Dec 30, 2010 at 5:49 PM

I have two local favorites, from vastly different parts of the country: Anchor Steam, from San Fransisco (which, sadly, as a Rangers fan, I can no longer enjoy), and Shiner Bock, from a little brewery in Shiner (near Austin) Texas. Any other beers that pass my lips, in order to bring me the appropriate joy, need to come across a border or the big pond. For a country that supposedly loves their beer, we sure do make a bunch of crap!

• Jonny 5 - Dec 30, 2010 at 7:09 PM

Dogfish head brewery in Delaware is making some very,very good brews. But you’re right, those beers from the past did and still do kinda suck. I’m glad to see flavor becoming important in American brewing.

• Utley's Hair - Dec 30, 2010 at 9:25 PM

Mmm..Dogfish Head does have some tasty brews. But I am a Yuengling guy. Sometimes I do feel like splurging for an import, but usually the import comes from Bahstahn.

• Jonny 5 - Dec 31, 2010 at 9:10 AM

Well, I still can get good beer at the games, thank goodness this doesn’t mean I have to drink Bud exclusively at the stadium. Ut, have you tried yuengling in the quart bottles yet? I swear they have more of a draft flavor to them. 2 dollars and some change for one, and that pours out 2-3/4 pints. You’re basically paying less than $1 a pint, and I swear it has a different flavor than the 12oz bottle, a better one.

• Utley's Hair - Dec 31, 2010 at 12:28 PM

Jonny, I think I’ll have to try that. I’ve never seen them, though. Where can I get it?

By the way, Happy New Year to all the HBT cellar dwelling booger eaters. I hope it’s a good one for all—until the Phightins take home the World Series, that is.

• Jonny 5 - Jan 1, 2011 at 7:47 PM

I once got lost in a 40 oz section of the local liqour store and found them. Most places that sell Yuengling carry them.

4. sportsdrenched - Dec 30, 2010 at 5:41 PM

Oooh They’re “official” beer of MLB. Better “official” than “exclusive”. I’d be really bent if I could only buy an A-B product at the yard.

I know Boulevard Brewing Company spends a ton of money with the Royals on pre and post game broadcast sponsorships, as well as high visibility signs in the stadium.

5. bigharold - Dec 31, 2010 at 1:26 AM

What’s with all the “..Yuengling ..Anchor Steam.. Shiner Bock.. or Dogfish head brewery in Delaware.. ”

Really? Is beer that complicated? If you want a good Summer time everyday beer Bud is that answer, inexpensive, quality, consistent. Even regular Coors is a good choice. If one needs more taste, .. simple Guinness. Searching around for local or exotic brews or paying through the nose for the likes of Sam Adams or Killian’s when Guinness is available is like reinventing the wheel.

And, Guinness has fewer calories and less carbohydrates than like amounts or regular beer. In fact it’s usually about half way between regular beer and lite beer. And, why anybody would drink lite beer is beyond me. Or, as the Monty Python boys once observed; .. “Why is drinking lite beer like making love in a canoe? It’s F$#kin close to water.”

Happy New Year!!