Dec 30, 2010, 4:02 PM EST
Anheuser-Busch Inc. said Thursday that it reached a new sponsorship agreement with Major League Baseball and dropped the lawsuit it filed against the league in November.
The multi-year agreement designates Budweiser as the official beer sponsor of Major League Baseball.
The U.S. arm of Anheuser-Busch InBev NV, the world’s largest brewer, sued the league’s licensing arm in a New York federal court in November, claiming that it reneged on a multiyear renewal of the sponsorship rights and demanded “exponentially higher” fees.
An Anheuser spokesman declined to release financial details of the agreement. In its November lawsuit, the beer maker said it would be investing “tens of millions of dollars” in 2010 in advertising and promotions involving its Budweiser brand related to the MLB.
I suppose this is good news for baseball. I added the “sadly” part, however, because for about ten minutes I had visions of the good people at the Rogue Brewring Company becoming the sole suppliers of tasty beverages at ballparks. At least then I would have enjoyed handing over eight bucks for a cup of beer.
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 24
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 23
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 81
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 50
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (84)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (81)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)