Dec 30, 2010, 4:02 PM EST
Anheuser-Busch Inc. said Thursday that it reached a new sponsorship agreement with Major League Baseball and dropped the lawsuit it filed against the league in November.
The multi-year agreement designates Budweiser as the official beer sponsor of Major League Baseball.
The U.S. arm of Anheuser-Busch InBev NV, the world’s largest brewer, sued the league’s licensing arm in a New York federal court in November, claiming that it reneged on a multiyear renewal of the sponsorship rights and demanded “exponentially higher” fees.
An Anheuser spokesman declined to release financial details of the agreement. In its November lawsuit, the beer maker said it would be investing “tens of millions of dollars” in 2010 in advertising and promotions involving its Budweiser brand related to the MLB.
I suppose this is good news for baseball. I added the “sadly” part, however, because for about ten minutes I had visions of the good people at the Rogue Brewring Company becoming the sole suppliers of tasty beverages at ballparks. At least then I would have enjoyed handing over eight bucks for a cup of beer.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 80
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)