Dec 30, 2010, 4:02 PM EDT
Anheuser-Busch Inc. said Thursday that it reached a new sponsorship agreement with Major League Baseball and dropped the lawsuit it filed against the league in November.
The multi-year agreement designates Budweiser as the official beer sponsor of Major League Baseball.
The U.S. arm of Anheuser-Busch InBev NV, the world’s largest brewer, sued the league’s licensing arm in a New York federal court in November, claiming that it reneged on a multiyear renewal of the sponsorship rights and demanded “exponentially higher” fees.
An Anheuser spokesman declined to release financial details of the agreement. In its November lawsuit, the beer maker said it would be investing “tens of millions of dollars” in 2010 in advertising and promotions involving its Budweiser brand related to the MLB.
I suppose this is good news for baseball. I added the “sadly” part, however, because for about ten minutes I had visions of the good people at the Rogue Brewring Company becoming the sole suppliers of tasty beverages at ballparks. At least then I would have enjoyed handing over eight bucks for a cup of beer.
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 1
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 12
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 73
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 42
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 217
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (217)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)